• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a decent mic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waza

My PC350 headset served me well for years but the padding started to flake and peel off few months ago. For a while I tried to find new pads for it but eventually I started to look for a better headphones/headset.
For couple week's I did some research, demoed headphones and determined(made up excuses) that there is no way to upgrade other than getting proper equipment and proper headphones.
So I got myself Sennheiser HD650's and Cambridge Audio dacmagic plus DAC and hooked it up with Toslink. I have been really happy with the sound, so much in fact that I don't want to get separate headset for gaming.

Now I need a microphone and that is an area that I'm not familiar with.
PC350 had quite decent boom mic and I would like to improve on that too.
Is there any decent desktop mic that would handle some background noise* cancellation but still pick up my voice 0.4-1 meters away.
Do I need mic amp and are there any that have USB connectivity?
I absolutely need physical switch in between the mic and PC to turn it off so an amp would probably act as one?
There is a possibility that I use this mic for voice recording in the future so it can cost a little bit.

* I have three pets, two pit bulls and a girlfriend

Yep, you've definitely gone down the right path with using a separate DAC and headphones. that setup will absolutely eat any soundcard + gaming headset available.

Just go the full montey and get a decent condensor mic like the BM700: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Condense...401012916?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item3a88ab06b4
A desktop mic stand comes in handy too: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DP-Stage...223614127?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item4d1e7742af

The thing to remember is that condensors mics will pick up the dog barking down the street, and also your headphone output let alone other sounds in your room. Use software for your noise cancellation, quite often your soundcard will have this built into the drivers and it can be toggled on or off. Just keep in mind that noise cancellation tends to degrade sound quality.

I'm using the BM800 myself for use with TeamSpeak while gaming. I found my Asus Xonar DX kept trying to automatically adjust the mic volume which mucked things up so I just used a cheap $5 USB soundcard for the input. That seems to work brilliantly. I just adjusted the volume in TeamSpeak at which it broadcasts.

Having said that, you can pick up a condensor lavelier mic for a little more howevver I prefer not to have to worry about the cables.

I hope thats of some help to you.

I ended up ordering SAMSON C03U USB microphone.
It fits my needs perfectly. I actually have Xonar DX soundcard but it has caused problems since I got it and I want to get rid of it.
Thank you for the help.

Back