• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for which fan splitter to use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amosuk

Hi all First post regular reader but first time I ever registered here.

So a while back I decided to build myself a decent machine, to cut a long story short, I went for CM 690 III case and corsair h105,

specs are

AMD FX 8350
Asus M5 A99 FX PRO
CM 690 III
Corsair H105
16gb corsair DDR3
4gb R9 270x

the rest I am going to poach from my old machine

So the issue I got is I have 7 fans to put in my case, I am using 2 corsair SP 120 and the 2 supplied with the h105 as a push pull, radiator in the front of the case
2 corsair AF 120 in the top for exhaust, and the supplied CM 120 fan exhaust in the back.

motherboard has only fan 2 headers on it so I am opting for the Lamptron FC5 V2 fan controller, I have been searching around the net and cant seem to find a straight answer, can I use a 1 to 4 PWM splitter so I can have all 4 radiator fans on 1 header in the fan controller, or do I have to find one without the PWM in it, the idea is to have 4 fans on 1 header, 2 AF exhaust fans on header 2 and the single exhaust on header 3, or I could split the radiator fans up to fan 1 and fan 2 headers

I thought I would ask here as most of you guys would know

Thanks in advance :)

If you're planning to use PWM control for your fans (you'll need 4-pin fans) then get a Swiftech PWM Splitter.

I just checked them they are all 3 pin fans also the fan controller is 3 pin also so any idea on what lead I would need to get 4 fans to 1 header 3 pin?

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

You can just plug a 3-pin fan into a 4-pin header, they work like that.

so would this work

this lead
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelid-Solut...411082389&sr=8-1&keywords=1+to+4+fan+splitter

4 fans connecting to it then the other end connecting to the fan controller?

I don't think that'll work for the 3 pinned fans.
the cable you showed us was intended for 4 wire fans and will split the control from the CPU fan header.
as for the 3p fans, it will make them run on their full speed as it feed them straight 12v.

for 3p fans, a simple splitter like this will work:
15098461237_ca9d6259a0_c.jpg

or if you want to feed 4 fans from a single 3p header,
use something like this:
15285029845_33000e731f_c.jpg

modmytoys is what came straight of my mind right now, but there's should be something else out there on the market with similar offer :D

thanks for the replies guys I will order the splitter for 2 fans I think keep it simple, thanks for the help guys :)

Theres alot of misleading information here.
To split 3 pin fans you need a splitter that DOES NOT split the 3rd pin. otherwise your RPM readings will ALL be WRONG. Whatever splitter you get make sure you cut the 3rd pin wire on all but one fan so the rpm readings are actually accurate and its not getting signals from all of the fans youre connecting because it wont read right.
Also make sure that the combined amperage is not over 1A per header unless your headers have a higher amp header.

InVain, I know you know better than that lol

To split 3 pin fans you need a splitter that DOES NOT split the 3rd pin. otherwise your RPM readings will ALL be WRONG. Whatever splitter you get make sure you cut the 3rd pin wire on all but one fan so the rpm readings are actually accurate and its not getting signals from all of the fans youre connecting because it wont read right.
Also make sure that the combined amperage is not over 1A per header unless your headers have a higher amp header.

The plan was to run the fans off a fan controller not the motherboard header. Yes though, running too many fans off the motherboard header can fry it.

well,
I'm not sure that the OP was meant to build his own splitter, wasn't he?

again, the power rating of fan headers on a mobo might be vary on each model.
1A, is typical, that what I was usually thought of.
until I read that someone only allowed at 0.5A.
thus, you must read your manual (no reason to be lazy and pass this question to someone else. period!)
or even ask your mobo manufacturer if you want to squeeze every single bit of your mobo out.

the high performance SP was rated at 0.18A (the quiet was 0.08A).
4 of them still draw less than 1A, if that what concern you.

the OP was intended to use the splitter on the Lamptron FC5 V2 fan controller which rated @30watt per channel.
most of 3pin header manufacturer states the maximum power allowed on their product @3A.
so again, this would still be on the safe margin.

so why did you accuse me for giving out a misleading information? :sly:

Hi all First post regular reader but first time I ever registered here.

So a while back I decided to build myself a decent machine, to cut a long story short, I went for CM 690 III case and corsair h105,

specs are

AMD FX 8350
Asus M5 A99 FX PRO
CM 690 III
Corsair H105
16gb corsair DDR3
4gb R9 270x

the rest I am going to poach from my old machine

So the issue I got is I have 7 fans to put in my case, I am using 2 corsair SP 120 and the 2 supplied with the h105 as a push pull, radiator in the front of the case
2 corsair AF 120 in the top for exhaust, and the supplied CM 120 fan exhaust in the back.

motherboard has only fan 2 headers on it so I am opting for the Lamptron FC5 V2 fan controller, I have been searching around the net and cant seem to find a straight answer, can I use a 1 to 4 PWM splitter so I can have all 4 radiator fans on 1 header in the fan controller, or do I have to find one without the PWM in it, the idea is to have 4 fans on 1 header, 2 AF exhaust fans on header 2 and the single exhaust on header 3, or I could split the radiator fans up to fan 1 and fan 2 headers

I thought I would ask here as most of you guys would know

Thanks in advance :)

before you purchase any fan controller google SP120 (fan controller name) noise.

I had an issue when i had sp120's where my NZXT fan controller would make my fans make a grinding sorth of noise.

I actually have a fan controller where you plug 3 pin fans to it then the controller itself has a VRM reader from the CPU 4pin. fans can be manually adjusted or used with this VRM individually ( led changes to red weh nVRm, Green for manual) .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&cm_re=fan_controller-_-11-995-075-_-Product

It is not top off the line but it worked with my sp 120's

well,
I'm not sure that the OP was meant to build his own splitter, wasn't he?

again, the power rating of fan headers on a mobo might be vary on each model.
1A, is typical, that what I was usually thought of.
until I read that someone only allowed at 0.5A.
thus, you must read your manual (no reason to be lazy and pass this question to someone else. period!)
or even ask your mobo manufacturer if you want to squeeze every single bit of your mobo out.

the high performance SP was rated at 0.18A (the quiet was 0.08A).
4 of them still draw less than 1A, if that what concern you.

the OP was intended to use the splitter on the Lamptron FC5 V2 fan controller which rated @30watt per channel.
most of 3pin header manufacturer states the maximum power allowed on their product @3A.
so again, this would still be on the safe margin.

so why did you accuse me for giving out a misleading information? :sly:

I somehow missed that he was using it with a fan controller. Even though its clear as day.

Back