• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I really need an SSD ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you mean? (Sorry, no time to watch 8 min video to figure out your question, :))

The installation process should be the same for both really.

Last edited:
I see , I guess that pretty much settle my questions and curiosity. Now thing is , I wonder should I stick with Windows 7 or just go for Windows 8.1....that will cost me another 300 bucks ( In my currency )
Well basically as much as an SSD just for a damn OS = ="
Not to mention Windows 9 be coming soon too zzz

Just built my first PC and can't ever imagine not having a SSD. Chrome, IE or just about any program launches instantly. It's very addictive. When I go back to my old PC, it almost feels like it is from the stone ages.

O yeah one more question I forgot to ask.
I have now Partitioned my 1TB Drive into C: and D:
C: is for my OS and D: it's solely for my Games and well some programs which aren't OS related.

Question is , when installing the new SSD , I think I would like a fresh install of OS , so can I just format only my C: and install fresh copy of Win 7 onto the new SSD , and yet Im still able to run my games without problems ??

Also can I merge back the C: together with D: ? Which meaning C: will be the SSD now and D: it's the HDD

I have 2 HDD actually , the other is G: but I think there's no concern at all about the 2nd drive right ? I have games in it too , all my game are STEAM too , my STEAM is installed on D:

I don't mind re-installing back all my programs , drivers and such , but the games is something I hope I could keep and play it without problem / re-installation. Since I have over 1TB worth of games total.....:cry:

You will need to reinstall your games. If you point it to the right path, it should be a VERY quick installation as it would only be verifying the install.

After you install the OS on the SSD, it will be C:. Your HDD will then assume other letters IIRC.

Hmm I guess it won't be much problem for my games then , since Im only going to be formatting the C: section of my HDD.
HOPEFULLY !

You meant by the formally C: on my HDD then ?
Hmm so as I asked , can I just merge it back to D: basically my HDD first and second HDD will be D: and G: left while C: will be my SSD
Since I recall merging back a partition sometimes it wont just work, you might need a 3rd Party program or something.
Or maybe even a higher version of OS , some claim that due to the file positioning on the HDD you might not able to merge it back.

Ok , let's say if I can't merge it back Im still able to just rename it and use the 100 GB partition right ? ( Don't ask why it was partitioned as 100GB well 100 something , when I built this PC , I built it at a shop , doesn't know anything much about PC back then )

Hmm I guess it won't be much problem for my games then , since Im only going to be formatting the C: section of my HDD.
HOPEFULLY !
You will still have to reinstall to reassociate the location, but it will be a lot quicker than if you were installing from scratch.

You meant by the formally C: on my HDD then ?
:confused:

Hmm so as I asked , can I just merge it back to D: basically my HDD first and second HDD will be D: and G: left while C: will be my SSD
So as I answered, yes.

Since I recall merging back a partition sometimes it wont just work, you might need a 3rd Party program or something.
I think windows can do this in Computer Management/Disk Management.

Or maybe even a higher version of OS , some claim that due to the file positioning on the HDD you might not able to merge it back.
Never heard of this on a HDD. SSD, sure. But you are not merging an SSD. That is called alignment if I understood you correctly.

Never heard of this on a HDD. SSD, sure. But you are not merging an SSD. That is called alignment if I understood you correctly.

Wait so if I were to Partition SSD , basically I have C: and D: on my SSD I cannot merge it back ? If so I didn't know such thing existed. I do know we can't defrag our SSD , well we can , but It will sort of shorten the lifespan of the SSD what I heard.

You misunderstood and mixed two things...

If you have an SSD, yes you can merge it if you split it. Same as a HDD. What you mixed up was the alignment part. SSD's need aligned (done automatically upon installation of your OS from Vista forward). What becomes troublesome is if you try to image a HDD and drop it on a SSD. Whatever application you use would need to re-align things (but you are not doing that so do not worry about it).

Do not defrag an SSD. Its not a HDD. SSD's have TRIM and Garbage collection which is automatic and done in the background.

You misunderstood and mixed two things...

If you have an SSD, yes you can merge it if you split it. Same as a HDD. What you mixed up was the alignment part. SSD's need aligned (done automatically upon installation of your OS from Vista forward). What becomes troublesome is if you try to image a HDD and drop it on a SSD. Whatever application you use would need to re-align things (but you are not doing that so do not worry about it).

Do not defrag an SSD. Its not a HDD. SSD's have TRIM and Garbage collection which is automatic and done in the background.

I see , I understood the alignment part now , Tks :thup:

This was an interesting and informative thread about SSD's. Thanks to everyone for answering Ghost-Nova's questions.
I'm thinking of getting a smallish SSD now for my dual boot XP - 7 install -- mostly because it will speed up loading of my RAM disk
on the XP install.

This was an interesting and informative thread about SSD's. Thanks to everyone for answering Ghost-Nova's questions.
I'm thinking of getting a smallish SSD now for my dual boot XP - 7 install -- mostly because it will speed up loading of my RAM disk
on the XP install.

Yes, this was a good thread.

I just got my first SSD (Samsung 850 Pro - 256G) and installed it last night. I also got a new 1TB 6Gbs WD Black that I am installing later this afternoon. I also have my older 1TB 6Gbs Seagate Barracuda, which has my only usable copy of MS Office on it (professional plus 2010, I have the key, but cant find a download anywhere).

I have to say the speed of opening browsers, games, etc is unbelievably fast; I can't believe I hesitated to get my first one....

Tonight, I'm going to play around with installing Win7 SP1 on my new WD Black and see if I can get these 3 discs to play nice on my Gigabyte UD5 MB....

I've never setup any rigs with multiple drives and have never done a RAID, so I've got some homework to do. In the past, I've had 2 HDD's, but I switched using them by changing the boot order in BIOS. I'm sure there is a much easier way to handle this with 3 drives, so wish me luck!!

Thanks again for all the knowledge. I should be more active here....

Yes, this was a good thread.

I just got my first SSD (Samsung 850 Pro - 256G) and installed it last night. I also got a new 1TB 6Gbs WD Black that I am installing later this afternoon. I also have my older 1TB 6Gbs Seagate Barracuda, which has my only usable copy of MS Office on it (professional plus 2010, I have the key, but cant find a download anywhere).

I have to say the speed of opening browsers, games, etc is unbelievably fast; I can't believe I hesitated to get my first one....

Tonight, I'm going to play around with installing Win7 SP1 on my new WD Black and see if I can get these 3 discs to play nice on my Gigabyte UD5 MB....

I've never setup any rigs with multiple drives and have never done a RAID, so I've got some homework to do. In the past, I've had 2 HDD's, but I switched using them by changing the boot order in BIOS. I'm sure there is a much easier way to handle this with 3 drives, so wish me luck!!

Thanks again for all the knowledge. I should be more active here....

The solution to MS Office? Open Office, all the functionality of the MS Office suite for free (and it works on Linux).
Open Office was recently renamed Libre Office: http://www.libreoffice.org/

Thanks ATMINSIDE, I had been using Open Office for Linux, then was told that it was no longer free
and that Libre Office was the new freeware alternative. Libre Office reads my Open Office document and spreadsheet files so it's been just as good as my old version of Open Office (which pre-dates Apache's takeover).

Back