• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I really need an SSD ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

As title said. Went to shop this week to install my new Seasonic PSU , everyone was so shocked and surprise later finding out a system like mine doesn't even have an SSD in it.
Really are SSD that important ? Can anyone here actually can't live without one ? Since SSD price did drop significantly , maybe it's time for me to actually install one ??
Does a gamer like me really need one ? I would like to hear your opinion on this and reason behind it. :thup:

This is really up to you. You (should) know the merits of an SSD and what it does for your system.... right? Its faster load times for everything, faster installation of programs, and just an all around faster feel on your PC. Does that sound good to you? If so, then it seems like you would want and benefit from one.

Lift that rock up, take a look around the forums outside of your threads :)! Check out the experiences, and check out the reviews of SSDs on the front page. Use the site as a self help resource. Its rewarding to find things and learn on your own sometimes. Do not misunderstand me, we are here to help, but there is a holy TON of information on SSDs around... take a look and see!

I do know the benefits but sometimes certain things are only decided when you actually experience it yourself lol.
So actually just want to hear some opinions over the forum here from you guys. But I guess basically the point its and it's simple as that all it does it's faster progress for all actions.
Ok let's move on , since Im really reluctant to install an SSD , I would really prefer more of a budget of " Bang for Buck " SSD , any recommendation ?
Now I did my homework. Haven't really seen all in comparison with ea other....hard to find such a thing.
Looking for ones around 70 - 120$ , 120 - 128GB

1)Crucial MX100 ( They said it's a replacement for M500 ? Any real difference ? )

2)Samsung EVO 840
( What's the different for PRO , except the LOT MORE EXPENSIVE price tag , because I've seriously no idea how to even read the specs of SSD like being what does what....from specs it's like the same thing between EVO and PRO )

3)Intel 530 Series ( I heard Intel is one of the most durable and least failure rate on the market )

4)Plextor M6 Pro ( This is alot more expensive than the others as I mentioned like the Samsung , any real performance gain ?? Spec sheets for all the SSD are so damn similar )

Also when buying an SSD what should I actually look for ? I mean the specs
For my case I think all Im gonna use it it's for OS boot up. So I don't think I need anything seriously powerful I guess ??
Anymore other suggestions is welcome :)

PS : I notice no one even talks about Corsair SSD anymore , is there something wrong ?? When I first found out about SSD it's always been Corsair and only Corsair. Everyone owns a Corsair back then. All I see now are Samsung

1-4 are all fine choices. Of those, I would go with the 840 EVO.

That's funny as I didn't know many with Corsair. They were never a front runner or anything like that...It used to always be OCZ...

I have a couple intel 300 series SSD's and I have been happy with them. Even my notebook with a SATAII controller is much quicker to load than with the old hdd.
I don't keep any of my computers on so the fast startup is great. Games I play are flight and racing sims. Terrain is constantly loading from the SSD to update the horizon, which is so much smoother than before.

Do you need an SSD? No. Will you be glad you got one? No doubt.

Ghost, I have 4 rigs I run daily. 2 with platters and 2 with SSD's, 1 has a Samsung 840 Evo and the other an OCZ Vertex 4. The only way I can describe the two with, compared to the other's is, it is just quicker for day to day operations. It's really nice to hit the power button and you're in windows in seconds not minutes. I even picked up a couple of SSD's I use for benching because I'm always re-installing the Os and it takes 20-30 minutes to fully install an OS including updates if I choose.
Do you need an SSD? No. Will you be glad you got one? No doubt.
So true!!!!

unless you do anything that benefits greatly by the speeds and access times i dont think its worth it, i have one in my main rig but only because i got it free it is nice and stuff loads fast from it, but i can also buy a couple TB for as much as a nice SSD costs. i dont run ssd's in any of my other machines they just arent quite as snappy loading stuff bout the only difference. id rather spend the extra money elsewhere towards a better GPU or CPU myself.

I can't even imagine living with out an SSD

A single 840pro crushes my old WD Raptor array by miles

What's the different of Samsung EVO 840 PRO and EVO ?
As I said , even looking at the specs I've no idea what Im looking at :eek: And everything seems to be the same thing.
Any reason why the Plextor M6 Pro is more expensive than the others 3 on the list I mentioned ?

1) Crucial MX100
2) Samsung 840 EVO
3) Intel 530 Series

It's not much in USD , around 30$ but it's more by least 100 - 140 in my currency which is alot ! :shock:
Well can't buy much with 100 - 140 though , but I can have a good 3 meal for least 2-3 days with it lol !

EDIT : By looking at this benchmark , comparing the 840 EVO and 840 PRO , doesn't seem to be any much of a difference. Someone explain please ?
The " MIXED " speeds seems to be lot faster for the PRO what does that even do ?? Being around 100 - 200 MB/s faster is that like alot for this situation.
If just simply like transfering files from C: to D: , for a transfer speed difference of 100 MB/s yes I guess that's is alot faster. But in this kind of cases I've no idea what is it even lol

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-840-Pro-256GB-vs-Samsung-840-Evo-250GB/1408vs1594

Last edited:
For all intents and purposes, speed. Throughput and IOPS with the Pro being faster. The EVO is regarded to be the better 'bang for your buck' drives.

Been using the Sammy's for a while now, solid as a rock :)

you will be blown away

Welcome to modern computing

Only problem is when you get on a PC with a spinner from here on out you will want to put an ice pick through your forehead :sly:

I'll back up your question and ask you: Do you really need a computer? You can still communicate, write, and play games without one. It becomes a matter of desire rather than need.

Sometimes I wonder where humanity would be if they didn't have forums and us volunteers to do their work for them...hehe!

**...looks at my signature... chuckles... **

That settles then I think I be going for a Samsung EVO 840 , now questions is which Organ is the least important in my body so I can sell it for money and get me a new SSD or maybe two if the Organ is valuable enough :rofl::p :D :clap:
Few more questions regarding SATA , Im still very confused about this , but when I search online , I visited 5 sites but I got over 2000 answers :thup:
So Im not sure which is true and which is actually a total bull :bang head

1) SATA II and SATA III has no real world performance differences.
2) Most consumer SSD or basically cheaper ones doesn't even utilize the full potential on SATA III but rather SATA II will be sufficient.
3) mSATA / M.2 SATA is also SATA but uses PCI-E lanes instead ? It can transfer up to 10GB/s is this true ? Do we even have existing SSD to utilize such speed.
4) All SATA cables are same no matter the brand or how it advertise it (If not mistaken I think 3GB/s cables are too same as 6Gb/s cables ?) referred from this link
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

:salute:

for me I'll have to say my head, it's just blank space that when I try to use it, it just gets me in trouble.
for me, I buy 1 good ssd for the os in each of my rigs and buy any cheap ssd when I find them on sale for benching and each has a spinner for storage.

I have the samsung 840evo, vertex4 and toshiba q series pro and like the toshiba better than the others

That settles then I think I be going for a Samsung EVO 840 , now questions is which Organ is the least important in my body so I can sell it for money and get me a new SSD or maybe two if the Organ is valuable enough :rofl::p :D :clap:
Few more questions regarding SATA , Im still very confused about this , but when I search online , I visited 5 sites but I got over 2000 answers :thup:
So Im not sure which is true and which is actually a total bull :bang head

1) SATA II and SATA III has no real world performance differences.
2) Most consumer SSD or basically cheaper ones doesn't even utilize the full potential on SATA III but rather SATA II will be sufficient.
3) mSATA / M.2 SATA is also SATA but uses PCI-E lanes instead ? It can transfer up to 10GB/s is this true ? Do we even have existing SSD to utilize such speed.
4) All SATA cables are same no matter the brand or how it advertise it (If not mistaken I think 3GB/s cables are too same as 6Gb/s cables ?) referred from this link
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

:salute:
1. Depends on what is attached to it. If it's a device that cN saturate sata2 speeds, then putting it on sata3 would be faster.
2. False. Completely false. Most modern SSD s easily saturate sata2 bandwidth.
3. Yes. Yes.
4. Yes.

1. Depends on what is attached to it. If it's a device that cN saturate sata2 speeds, then putting it on sata3 would be faster.
2. False. Completely false. Most modern SSD s easily saturate sata2 bandwidth.
3. Yes. Yes.
4. Yes.

As usual sorry for my bad English , trying hard to understand. So I would like to double confirm.

So basically for 1) and 2) it's about the same answer. That we can really benefit the speed of SATA III then. Even with consumer SSD(s) ? Then logically I guess if I to get an SSD I would best to plug it into SATA III then I guess. My board only has 2 SATA III...
For my HDD SATA II it's sufficient right , since SATA II is capable of 300mb/s my 7200 RPM Blue(s) are only up to like 100 - 110mb/s ( Is this even the correct speed , this is what Im getting though )

Back