• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modifying a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rithaniel

Hi, I'm pretty sure I've got the right forum for this. If not, let me know.

I'm looking to modify a PSU to increase it's output anywhere from 50 to 100 watts.

If you're wondering why: My case requires a SFX PSU, and the best SFX PSU on the market right now is the 600w Silverstone SX600-G. However, the build I have in mind has a recommended required 650w. I'd like to go high, and increase the wattage all the way to 700, just to be careful.

Is there a way to do this with minimal losses in efficiency? Or is it possible at all?

(Or is it even necessary? I'm getting that 650w number from PSU calculators online. Are these calculators accurate? What happens if I go low?)

there is no way to do this i am sorry to say sir.

but if you could give us some specs to your machine we can help with the psu situation a little bit.

9 times outs of 10 you can get away with a 450w psu.

Sure thing. I'll include everything that plugs into the computer, just to make sure:

Case: Silverstone RVZ01
Mobo: Asus Z97I Plus
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
Memory: 2x Team Elite DDR3 8GB 1600
Graphics: GeForce GTX 780
HDD: Hitachi GST HD32000 IDK/7K
SSD: Plextor PX-G256M6e
PSU: Silverstone SX600-G
Watercooling: Corsair Hydro H75
Fans: 2x Corsair CO-9050012-WW
Optical: Silverstone SOD01
Mouse: Logitech M570
Keyboard: Corsair CH-9000066-NA

Also, you're absolutely certain that you can't increase wattage? Would you have to build the PSU from the ground up or something?

you cant just build a psu, and you can't safely modify one unless you are an electrical engineer.

that being said the 600w silverstone is gonna be plenty for that setup :) full load you are gonna see maybe 400w power draw from that system, if that.

Alright, well, if I were to commission an electrical engineer to modify it, would they be capable of increasing the wattage? I'm really pretty interested by the concept of modifying a PSU.

Also, you're certain that will be enough? Before I factor in the fans everything's riding up on 600w according to the calculators I'm using. With the fans, it peeks over the top.

Also, while I'm at it, if that would be enough, then what if I were to upgrade the graphics card to the Zotac 780 AMP, which is an overclocked GeForce 780 with an increased power draw. Specifically, it recommends a 700w minimum power supply. Should I just forego that?

Alright, well, if I were to commission an electrical engineer to modify it, would they be capable of increasing the wattage? I'm really pretty interested by the concept of modifying a PSU.

Also, you're certain that will be enough? Before I factor in the fans everything's riding up on 600w according to the calculators I'm using. With the fans, it peeks over the top.

Also, while I'm at it, if that would be enough, then what if I were to upgrade the graphics card to the Zotac 780 AMP, which is an overclocked GeForce 780 with an increased power draw. Specifically, it recommends a 700w minimum power supply. Should I just forego that?

gtx 780 = 250w (300 ish overclocked?)
4770k overclocked? = 150w? probably not that much but oh well.
fans? = 10w (probably overkill)\
hdd/ssd = 20w

overclocked im getting about 430w.
unoverclocked a bit less.
i could be wrong but those psu calculators over estimate by ALOT

The cost of having someone modify it versus buying a new case that fits a more standard setup could deter you from this route...

Id run that rig on a quality 550W PSU all day long and overclock the CPU and GPU. Remember, the GPU is a 250W card, the CPU is 77W (stock at WORST). That leaves over 230W left for the mobo/fans/hdd/water system, etc. PLENTY. Oh, and that is assuming you are running the GPU at 100% and the CPU at 100% which really only happens when stress testing or folding/mining. :)

Wage hit it.. ~300W for the card overclocked, 125W for the CPU (ambient overclocking), which leaves 175W for the rest. PLENTY.

Okay then, my concerns are assuaged. That was my last concern with the build, so I should actually be starting it up here in a couple of weeks. I'll make sure to post the build on these forums.

Still, I'd like to put forward the academic question: Would anyone here be sure as to how to modify a PSU to change the functionality? Like increasing watts or adding redundant safety features?

Here is how he responded... and I quote, "You can quote me on there with this response: If you are not an EE specializing in SMPS systems, any modification you do to your psu will make things worse."

(Thanks BOBn!!!)

LIke I said, it looks like if you can find someone, it could cost you and arm and a leg to do.

or, you can do like alot of companies do take a 300w psu and slap a 600w sticker on it that should work right?

Back