• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A97 R2.0 EVO Defect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Destroyer

Hello, I built a PC for a friend and these are the specs:
Asus M5A97 R2.0 EVO
FX 8320
R9 280X
Crucial Ballistix 8gb
WD 1TB blue
XFX 550W

Anyway, once it was built, it started freezing. I found out it only freezes when using the internet. If it was connected to the internet, it would freeze, and even faster if we were playing internet games. I thought drivers did this, but we've tried Windows 7, windows 8, windows 8.1, with and without drivers.
Funny thing, the PC works perfectly if NOT connected to the internet. We opened Red faction 2 and left it open for more than a day and it worked PERFECTLY. It also worked for like 2, 3 days just on windows, without internet.
So, trying to fix it, i bought an asus internet card. I installed it, connected the internet to it, but it still froze.
My friends laptop works perfectly on the other hand, on the same internet, same cable, same modem.
Any suggestions please?
I think the motherboard is dead.

Have you stressed that system with P95 in Blend mode for an hour or so? If not I would. Most NIC have to use cpu cycles to do the job and some of them can put the cpu into a load of 40% or more. It could be the thing is just borderline unstable and internet traffic blows the whole deal up. Just a thought.
RGone....

Hi & welcome. I would think that since this is a desktop sys. that you have it hard wired in through a Lan port on the mb. If so do you have a wireless network USB adapter that you could try & see if that will work?

Have you stressed that system with P95 in Blend mode for an hour or so? If not I would. Most NIC have to use cpu cycles to do the job and some of them can put the cpu into a load of 40% or more. It could be the thing is just borderline unstable and internet traffic blows the whole deal up. Just a thought.
RGone....

We've tried. We also tried memtest86 for like allot. i think 2 days. Works well but i can't wrap my mind around the internet issue. What could be causing it? is it a possibility that it is the internet itself? only in his house?

Thanks for the help, mate! :D

Hi & welcome. I would think that since this is a desktop sys. that you have it hard wired in through a Lan port on the mb. If so do you have a wireless network USB adapter that you could try & see if that will work?[/QUOTE said:
I do not. But I could get it if it's all that cheap. Any one in particular?

Another thing you might try...

...try for troubleshooting purposes is to make one of the newer Linux Live CD's and try that. Most of the newer versions of Linux I have used will find the NIC for internet connection and work right off the CD. That 'should' tell you if you have a hardware issue. If Linux Live CD were to fail to work when you are net connected...I would say there is a hardware problem.
RGone...

I will assume that it freezes when just having IE open and doing nothing.
with that board and processor your vcore could be dropping to low and causing this issue, you can try going in the bios and raising the vcore a notch or two, but with that combo make sure that you are at stock clocks.

I will assume that it freezes when just having IE open and doing nothing.
with that board and processor your vcore could be dropping to low and causing this issue, you can try going in the bios and raising the vcore a notch or two, but with that combo make sure that you are at stock clocks.

First off, Thanks for all the help guys!
Second, we've already took the PC apart. I just thought the mobo wat 100% the cause. But seeing how many options exist for this problem, here are more specific details:
The PC froze after eithr some time of web surfing or when playing internet games (lol in this case). Next off, like I've said, We've trield allot of operating systems with or without drivers. We also rebuilt the PC outside the case, same problem. The weird thing is, the PC would freeze like 30 min into the game the first time and the next time he'd open the PC (after he'd have to do a hard restart) and play, it'd freeze in 10 minutes, then 5 minutes and so on. After leaving the PC closed again for a night or two, it would again work for 30-45minutes, then 10, 5 the next day.
Any suggestions?

Since already apart and board is new; send it on back for a new one. That will take the board out of the equation when the new one comes back. That would likely be my way of doing now that the computer is disassembled for replacing the mobo anyway.
RGone....

Since already apart and board is new; send it on back for a new one. That will take the board out of the equation when the new one comes back. That would likely be my way of doing now that the computer is disassembled for replacing the mobo anyway.
RGone....

Thing is, the store (HOH.DE) won't replace the board, they redirected me to Asus RMA service,they redirected me to a local ASUS service store ect...
Basically, the only way to do this is for me to buy a new motherboard, but i wanna be 100% sure it's the motheboard, before i buy it and see i waster 80 euros for a motherboard, that won't fix the problem.

Any suggestions now? :p

they redirected me to a local ASUS service store ect...

Any suggestions now? :p

What does a local ASUS service store do? Test the board? Repair the board or take the board in for RMA? I mean it is called a service store. Get some service. Plus you say it is local. Take it there and get some service. They ought to be able to at least test the board, even if they have to do a mini-setup and remove the board from the list of possible issues or not. Then with the board out of the mix you can move on to serious testing elsewhere. Get the board out of the mix first since service store is said local and move on then.
RGone...

What does a local ASUS service store do? Test the board? Repair the board or take the board in for RMA? I mean it is called a service store. Get some service. Plus you say it is local. Take it there and get some service. They ought to be able to at least test the board, even if they have to do a mini-setup and remove the board from the list of possible issues or not. Then with the board out of the mix you can move on to serious testing elsewhere. Get the board out of the mix first since service store is said local and move on then.
RGone...

no, the german store told us to contact asus support, and asus support told us to contact a local guy, they gave us his info. He was actually croatian and not Slovenian (where we live) and he told us to contact a local asus service store. But there is only one in our country, and it said it isn't accountable for this...
Seriously, we've went through like 10 services and people already, another question is, HOW DO I RETURN THE MOTHERBOARD IN EUROPE! :(
Thanks for the help man :)

If it were me, first I would try your earlier idea of adding a wireless third party NiC before going to all the expense and hassle of an RMA or repair. I would pick up or borrow a wireless USB or PCI-e NIC and see if that fixes the problem. And don't forget to disable the on-board NIC that may be currently causing the problem.

If it were me, first I would try your earlier idea of adding a wireless third party NiC before going to all the expense and hassle of an RMA or repair. I would pick up or borrow a wireless USB or PCI-e NIC and see if that fixes the problem. And don't forget to disable the on-board NIC that may be currently causing the problem.

Well, good news!
We rebuilt this PC at a friend's house and everything works fine. We now think it's the router's fault in the guy's house. Any other idea? And yes, the computer has been running with wired internet for 3 days now, perfectly, so it only freezes when it's at that guys house. He already replaced the internet cable, so what could it be? Router?
Thanks guys, AWESOME SUPPORT!

Ya router or just poor service. does it have any kind of converter/booster box when it comes into the house?

Well, good news!
We rebuilt this PC at a friend's house and everything works fine. We now think it's the router's fault in the guy's house. Any other idea? And yes, the computer has been running with wired internet for 3 days now, perfectly, so it only freezes when it's at that guys house. He already replaced the internet cable, so what could it be? Router?
Thanks guys, AWESOME SUPPORT!

The fact that it started working after you reassembled it makes me wonder if you had a misplaced stand off that was grounding out against the underside of the motherboard.

Back