• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia GTX 980 & GTX 970 released today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good news: My card is now running at 99% GPU load.

Bad news: Card is making the unpleasant whining noise, which is fortunately not too loud.

Worse news: Running a core 15 WU (7620). For some reason I thought they were done with Core 15.

Last edited:
Along with the outside temperature, my feelings for the Maxwell cards have chilled somewhat. In part does my Tahiti "farm" suddenly produce like hell (1,8M ppd some days now!) and provide *actual needed* heating, in part there is all these Core15 news. And, I suppose, tea leaves are showing higher-end GPUs coming from Nvidia soon-ish - but will there be only ultra-high Titan-like or also a cut down super-value card?
Time will tell.
Those Tahiti GPUS are closing in on being 3 years old...

Last edited:
GTX 970 ordered from newegg

I ordered one of these:
EVGA 04G-2978-KR GeForce GTX 970 FTW 4GB from newegg yesterday.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487077

I'm going to have to shut down two of my computers to move graphics cards around. Hopefully, two R9 280Xs and one R9 290 will fold on my AMD system that has four PCIe slots. I'm planning on putting the GTX 970 into my computer which is running two R9 280Xs now, and moving them to my computer which has only one R9 290 in it.

Hope this upgrade goes more smoothly than the last.

right, smooth?????? that'll never happen.
I can't even just swap out my 7770 for my 7850 and have it go smooth!!!!!

GTX 970 settings??

I installed my GTX 970 today.
Of course it caught a core 15. Estimated PPD is 73k.
Anyone know if certain settings work better than nothing? I currently have "client-type" "advanced" set.

More important than the purchase cost/PPD is the power cost/PPD. How are these 970 cards rated?

My 970 seems to average around 250k PPD and 180W system power usage when only GPU folding. Key is to optimize the system for efficiency.

If I get the GTX 970, will my older Q6600 still be able to feed it data fast enough? In other words, will it be a bottle neck?

It will be fine in a gaming capacity as well... it may shave a little off the top, but not too much to think its not worth it.

I'm not about to invest $$$$ in a new folding machine, but $$$ is doable. 4k x 60Hz+ will have to wait until technology and content catch up.

Back