• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia GTX 980 & GTX 970 released today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope, but I expect it to be about ~10% slower as it is compared with the 980...

THe 970 looks to be a great bang for your buck card for folding... 165W and seemingly faster than a 780ti/290x also!

I wonder this also! I guess it's only natural to wanna test the big brother first if you run a review site. I'll be watching Anand and this in the coming days. Yay for sites that regulalrly use FaHBench!
The power efficiency is of great interest to me, especially after "hottest summer ever" this year, it seems to reduce quite a bit, doesn't it!

Still, used 280x/7970 (good, old) are available in great numbers real cheap now, and if you aren't worrying too much about power/heat they could possibly give you 2x the PPD value? If you are just running two-three cards I suppose Tahiti is still the sweet spot?

These cards are really exciting, but it's worth remembering the value of what we have, compared what is promised/rumoured. Cheap (in terms of purchasing price) 280x/290(x) give some solid Core 17 numbers - and heat I should say - now, whereas Maxwell still get a lot of low ppd Core 15 I hear. The ppd appear to be an upgrade from the Nvidia cards they replace - very early reports still - but the biggest boosts are for games with varying power needs, folders with 100/24/7 not so much.
If you were to start from scratch....but who does that? Swapping out functioning AMD before winter could leave you with less ppd and a cold house :)

By the way - GPUs as "investment" is really hard - you need to predict new releases crystal ball style and sell out some time before. Better to buy in when prices are moderate and ride for the long haul - 7970 I'm talking about you :)

Now whats holding those GTX 790 FahBench tests up??

I was thinking of getting the EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-2978-KR) with a core clock of 1216MHz and Boost of 1367 MHz; but this article:
http://www.eteknix.com/evga-respond-possible-design-flaw-gtx-970-acx/
shows a design flaw. If you look at a picture there one heatpipe which is not closed, and is therefore non-functional. Also the GPU only contacts two heatpipes.

So now I'm thinking Gigabyte (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD) GTX 970 with a core clock of 1178 MHz and a boost of 1329 Mhz. Trouble is finding one and at what price.

The Gigabyte and MSI cards seem to be the clear winners so far. The Giga is ~$30 more expensive, however.

Keep in mind there are new gpu cores waiting in the wings...........Can't just go by core15 or the relatively new core17 results.

new cores Core18 (with an updated version of OpenMM) and Core19 (with an updated backend infrastructure)

Also note there may also be points restructuring when BigAdv (BA) project experiment permanently ends on January 31, 2015.

Tis not a good time to be purchasing any folding related equipment right now (or in the next ~4 months) that isn't also required for other purposes, until we see how things are going to shake out.

:sly:

Keep in mind there are new gpu cores waiting in the wings...........Can't just go by core15 or the relatively new core17 results.

Also note there may also be points restructuring when BigAdv (BA) project experiment permanently ends on January 31, 2015.

Tis not a good time to be purchasing any folding related equipment right now (or in the next ~4 months) that isn't also required for other purposes, until we see how things are going to shake out.

:sly:

Oh, one small new architecture GPU can't hurt :)

Look at this http://www.hardware.no/artikler/test-gainward-geforce-gtx-970-phantom/163741/3
review of a Gainward GTX970 - in the FahBench test, 970 cleans out and specifically, beats current 280X on price per test result. Great news!

On the orther hand, the describe, on the second to last page, it shows system power under load and the note that in spite of not overclocking, they get same results as 280X...more power than the 980.
Ah well, there were hints about this in other reviews, I guess we'll see more results later.

Still, really interesting!

Problem with that is, used 290(x)s go for so little now, you probably wouldn't even get enough to get 970s instead.

Actually, my #1 rig in sig being stolen at the train station a couple of days ago... There not worth anything to me anymore :rofl:

So 980, 4790k and z97 oBo it wil be!

Edit: BTW, they sell still pretty well in Europe (€230/250 - $280/300 per card).

Yay, Anand did 970!
67923.png

My local purchase price calculations shows this to be so close to 280x value; doubts are beginning to fade. This card kicks ***!
Anand shows sizeable power difference again, I guess there will be differing measurements there.
All in all, this is more and more tempting!
Bits like this also helps :)

Found this review of the MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G Video Card at:
http://hardocp.com/article/2014/09/29/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_4g_video_card_review#.VCmNAhawSkU

Their Final Overclock:

Base: 1264MHz / Boost: 1403MHz / Actual: 1542MHz

Memory: 8GHz

Note that Anandtech tested a stock GTX970 (Base =1050MHZ; Boost = 1178MHz) which got a 58.8 on the F@H benchmark above.

I am trying to locate a place to download the Folding at Home benchmark software. The link (http://www.fahbench.com/) on the Folding website has been resulting in this for days now:
"I'm sorry, the page or resource you are searching for is currently unavailable."

Last edited:
Got a Zotac 970. Would have bought an EVGA or Asus, but they were sold out everywhere. Just got it installed this morning. No mods to it. Right now it's crunching a 9201 with estimated 161K PPD. Looks to be a little behind an R9 290x for points - about 20% less. But I've had some starts and stops so maybe my bonus is a little lower. Need a couple of days to see what it will really do.

I have not checked power usage. However in terms of noise it's fantastic. With the cover off my case I can barely hear it. With the cover on I don't hear it at all. Nice bonus in my house. Would like to get GPU load higher than 87%.

970.JPG

Back