• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Add a R9 290X to a system with a R9 295X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, is it possible to add a R9 290X card to a system with a R9 295X so it'll be a 3 way cross fire or is the 295X a different architect?

David

Yes. The 295x2 is literally 2 290x cores in one card. Nothing at all different.

But I would only do that if I was running 3x 4K monitors.

Hi, well I have the R9 295X2 and a 4K monitor. It runs slow in some games like Call of Duty Ghost. I was thinking of adding another card might speed things up.

That is surprising... What are your settings at in the game? Specifically the AA? If it is at 4x or above, turn it down to 2x or none at all. With the pixel density on a 4K monitor, you can lower AA as the jaggies are not as visible versus a monitor with less pixel density.

EDIT: Can you create a signature that shows your hardware? Maybe you have and are posting mobile...?

Hi, I just created a signature :) I haven't looked at the AA settings. I just set the default that AMD chooses with their Gaming Revolution software. It's just COD Ghosts that's really slow. BattleField 4, WatchDog and Tomb Raider are great.

That Gaming Evolved software... the devil itself! I deleted it as it is intrusive to me and I set all my games manually anyway.

Set things manually... but in looking at things, it should run just fine at that res with a GTX 295x2...BUt as I said at 4K you really do not need the same levels of AA you do with lower resolutions.

Thanks for the response. I'll try to play it again with lower levels of AA.

Back