• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking FX 6100 for Dolphin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eosterman15

My processor isn't powerful enough to play the Dolphin Emulator at full speed. I know for a fact it can be overclocked to work (somewhere between 3.7-4.0 ghz) however my motherboard has no vram cooling which could be bad. I have no experience with overclocking but please let me know if it would be possible and if so walk me through how I could go about overclocking my system. The motherboard I have is the MSI 970a-g43

Manually set cpu multiplier to 17.0 and then as outlined below.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and Enable HPC if in bios and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

My processor isn't powerful enough to play the Dolphin Emulator at full speed. I know for a fact it can be overclocked to work (somewhere between 3.7-4.0 ghz) however my motherboard has no vram cooling which could be bad.

You mean VRM cooling?

The motherboard I have is the MSI 970a-g43
Tred lightly with that mother board I had two 970a G45's with Vrm cooling, go up in smoke trying to Oc a much less demanding Cpu. I literally mean up in smoke and seeing smoke come out of your pc is a bit disheartening.

Back