• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for improvements in my build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

My current build is an APU setup, and i've noticed the graphics are okay, but are starting to have trouble keeping up with my games (minecraft, gamecube emulator) so i'm wondering what some good upgrades would be? mostly concerned about graphics/memory. but if my CPU needs an upgrade i'm open to suggestions there too. not wanting to spend more than $350, and i definitely am not looking to replace the motherboard. my specs:

CPU: AMD A8-6500 3.5GHz

RAM: 8GB (1x8GB) ADATA 1600MHz

Motherboard: F2A55-M/CSM Micro-ATX

GPU: Integrated Rdeon HD 8570D

PSU: 350W generic PSU (came with the computer)

so any upgrade suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

I believe theres a radeon R7 gpu that can enable that hybrid cross fire with your system. Another option is a 750 ti 2gb (if not looking into xfire) I think its one of the few cards that you will be able to use with out the need of modifying most of your setup.

You will likely see an improvement going with a 2x4g set of DDR3 1866 ram that way you can use it in dual channel mode, you will also see an improvement with the Gpu as it uses the DDR3 memory. If that isn't enough improvement then going with either a Gpu you can hybrid X fire or a 750 Ti is a good suggestion.

Look around for a discarded rack server and salvage the PSU from it if it's ATX, as well as the case and cooling solution if it's 4U or bigger and accepts a common ATX board. Then you'll have plenty of power to run a good GPU. The new GTX 970 is nicely within your budget and would be an excellent choice if you're planning to upgrade the rest of the machine sometime in the future.

i've deduced i need a memory/CPU upgrade the most. for my budget what would be a good APU or FM2 CPU to replace my current one?

Get one of the quad core Athlon parts for FM2. And get a GTX 750Ti. It SHOULD run on your current PSU. If it doesn't, get a Corsair CX500 PSU ($30-50 US). The RAM is ok for now, especially if you won't be using the onboard graphics of the chip (Athlon has the graphics disabled anyways). If you do upgrade the RAM (simply for the purpose of running dual channel), get another 8GB stick identical to the one you have now. Obviously you only need 8GB of RAM but the fact that your current RAM is in single channel mode is the only thing making me suggest another identical stick.

You should never have gone FM2 for a gaming computer in the first place, though. The ideal solution here is to ditch your apu, mobo, PSU, and start fresh. Get a Gigabyte 970A UD3P and an FX6300 CPU and a GTX 750Ti along with another stick of RAM and a corsair CX500 PSU. That's JM2C.

Back