• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has a GTX 970 on the way?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
970s SLI installed.... quick benches getting mid 70s Crysis 3 2560x1600 maxed txaa
65 fps in Valley,Unigine, 2560x1600 111 fps @ 1080p
20,103 3dmark 11
Cards idling at 24c/26c fan profile keeps noise down, running fan profile as usual in Precision vers 4.21 new one me no like.
Cards hit 59c/61c in Valley @ 2560x1600. so temps good.

Seems win7 is quite the perf hit for me now...6 to 10%!!!! that's crazy!

Should be able to get a decent idea from the preview version of 9 whether it'll give any performance bump or if it's just a UI change.

Your results (7 vs. 8) are similar to what I've seen in comparison reviews for GPUs. I've never understood how people can keep arguing to the death in favor of W7 when the performance disparity between it and 8 is basically the same as what exists between any two "adjacent model" video cards.

Average performance on Win7 and 8 will be almost the same. Depends from test/game results are slightly higher or lower but hardware manufacturers will stop to optimize drivers for older systems so performance on Win8 will only improve while on Win7 not so much.
Yesterday I was trying to download WinXP drivers for GTX970 and there are no drivers for 900 series on nvidia site. There are still drivers on other sites but it clearly shows that nvidia will stop release drivers for this system or will include only basic options. The same will be with Vista/Win7 soon but at least these systems are not much different than Win8 so it will take some time.
I just feel that Microsoft is pushing hardware manufacturers to focus on Win8+ as they see that profit from new systems is not as high as they were expecting. MS released Win8.1 really quick for free and still try to improve various things as users simply don't like Win8.
Not so long time ago we had premiere of Win8, next 8.1 and soon Win9. Hard to call system good when its creator is changing it so often. If they listened to the crowd instead of forcing useless features then it would be success.
Right now we will have to wait for full DX12 and I doubt that MS will release it for Win7 looking at their strategy.

I'm not saying that Win8 is pure evil but I just see how it looks like and how people are reacting on Win8. At work we had a lot of problems to convince many clients to Win8. They think it's a new system for longer while we already see info about Win9.

Average performance on Win7 and 8 will be almost the same. Depends from test/game results are slightly higher or lower but hardware manufacturers will stop to optimize drivers for older systems so performance on Win8 will only improve while on Win7 not so much.

Has performance been better on 7? If it's better in several games on 8 and the same on all others, that doesn't average out to no difference. That means Windows 8 performance is better.

Yesterday I was trying to download WinXP drivers for GTX970 and there are no drivers for 900 series on nvidia site. There are still drivers on other sites but it clearly shows that nvidia will stop release drivers for this system or will include only basic options. The same will be with Vista/Win7 soon but at least these systems are not much different than Win8 so it will take some time.
I just feel that Microsoft is pushing hardware manufacturers to focus on Win8+ as they see that profit from new systems is not as high as they were expecting.

Yes, it has been and will remain difficult to get the latest hardware drivers for aging operating systems. Same driver on 7 vs. 8, though, 8 will be faster because of OS optimizations. Hardware manufacturers aren't going to put the same amount of money into developing drivers for older (and slower) operating systems because they know people will (and should) move on.

MS released Win8.1 really quick for free and still try to improve various things as users simply don't like Win8.
Not so long time ago we had premiere of Win8, next 8.1 and soon Win9. Hard to call system good when its creator is changing it so often. If they listened to the crowd instead of forcing useless features then it would be success.
Right now we will have to wait for full DX12 and I doubt that MS will release it for Win7 looking at their strategy.

I'm not saying that Win8 is pure evil but I just see how it looks like and how people are reacting on Win8. At work we had a lot of problems to convince many clients to Win8. They think it's a new system for longer while we already see info about Win9.

Most software companies are on an annual release cycle and they have been for a while. It's called competition. It sometimes breeds misdirected UI changes, but more often than not, it's technological advancement that comes out of it (i.e. the same video card performing 5-10% better in an older OS vs. a newer OS).

W7 vs. 8 has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere and I don't feel like we're saying anything new here. Yea, W8 looks different and has some gimmicky nonsense (queue c627627 commenting that you can easily change this ;)), but it's essentially the same and is faster. We jump through a million different hoops to overclock our components and squeeze every last % out of them, but fluster when we have to trade a start screen for a 10% graphics performance bump?

firestrike.png

My score with a Galax(y) GTX 970 OC.

Whelp, uploaded a previous result from lower OC then changed it to a new one and can't remove old one. ^_^

Attachments

• firestrike.png
    firestrike.png
    432.1 KB · Views: 244
Wow is scaling always that bad in Firestrike or is it just the CPU difference? 10k with one 970 and 14k with two?

Wow is scaling always that bad in Firestrike or is it just the CPU difference? 10k with one 970 and 14k with two?

I would imagine scaling. I doubt there is much of a difference in our CPU's, at least not a tangible one in something like this. Mine's clocked at 4.6ghz for reference.

I think its SLI drivers, both cards ran round 55% usage during firestrike, in Crysis 3 they hit 100%. Running 2560x1600 ultra 4xMSAA around 63 fps average now....with 670s I ran TXAA and was about 20 fps slower.

what OS you running O cheesy sigless one?

I think its SLI drivers, both cards ran round 55% usage during firestrike, in Crysis 3 they hit 100%. Running 2560x1600 ultra 4xMSAA around 63 fps average now....with 670s I ran TXAA and was about 20 fps slower.

what OS you running O cheesy sigless one?

LOL. Windows 8.1.

I went for the word of mouth reliability of ASUS so i didnt have to redo my cables to make the Gigabyte barely fit if at all possible. Ordered my card after hours and the next lunchtime everything is listed as out of stock with no known date, either i got one of the last ones or they never had any in stock, will see Monday/Tuesday.

Anyone else not seen anything in stock at all for the past week/two? I see gainwards just hit stock last few days, but everything else has been missing since at least the week of the 25th or earlier. My store had them listed as in stock/arrive within 48/72 hrs. They said it was a mistake in the computer and it would arrive in another week, ofc as expected arriving today it did not. Im more then likely sure they have near to no clue right now where the cards are and are just keeping customers invested in there order as long as they can which is probably at least another week or more.

Newegg had some stock last week for a few days. Still waiting on Amazon to get stock of the Gigabyte so they can send it to me. Purchased on Oct 1st.

My local store listed the Asus Strix i ordered as on its way, when ordering it does say current is 5/6 days which means its still on route to Switzerland, usually says 48/72 hours when its in the country at whatever big *** warehouse.

All other cards are listed time as N/A

Expect to start to probably see cards coming from all brands within the next week/two just based on my monitoring.

Main issue right now is that most stores get 3-5 cards only and they're out before they even have it on stock. Somehow EU is still area where new, expensive hardware is not selling so good. Most manufacturers prepare first deliveries to Asia ( as they have close ) and US. You can find many of GTX970/980 on stock in larger online stores in US. In EU only couple bigger bought large amount.
In Poland almost every store has 0 on stock ( except Palit/Gainward but no one wants them :p ). I got 2x GB GTX970 WF from 2 different stores where it was on stock without any special waiting.

It's still better than DDR4. Problems with availability of most brands and it can take some time till we will have any better choice. Right now only Crucial/Micron has no problems with production.

I've been out of the loop for quite some time. That picture above is the first I've seen of these cards. It looks like a little 8800gt heheh. I am glad to see things in the pc world shrinking a bit :thup:

I have 2 tri slot cards, such a pita. And such a waste of space.

Back