• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has a GTX 970 on the way?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

And what are you hoping to see as far as gains?

I've got the base MSI model (not the red and black one) coming from Newegg, should hopefully show up on Thursday, assuming they ship Monday. Relacing an original non-SE GTX 460 1GB, driving a 1080p screen. Hoping to max GTA5 when it gets here, although that may be hoping for too much. Also hoping it can hit 120hz in Dark Souls, GTA4, and a few other games I play, so when I move to one of the cheapass 65" Seiki 4k 30hz/1080 120hz TVs the card can still hang :)

Haven't heard much here yet from 970-folk, so get in here and get your e-peen brag on!

I'll be in the market for one here soon, maybe sli with that msrp for $110 combined more then a single 980 is so tempting...... Going to be a major upgrade from my current hd 5870 :clap:

Newegg says mine is shipped (Gigabyte 970) but no tracking number yet.

I am guessing this will be a solid 40-50% improvement over my GTX670 2GB.

The 670 has been a good card, but wasn't able to max out Watchdogs nor Battlefield 4 @ 1080p. And with all the new games this fall and into winter, it was time for a upgrade. Who would have thought Nvidia would price it so reasonable?

The moment the ACX 2.0 version of the EVGA model gets back in stock, I'll be buying it. Sadly I wasn't able to hop on the bandwagon in time :( I currently have a 460, so yeah, I'm hoping to see some super duper gains.

I'm just starting to think about ASUS GTX970. 1x8 pin but cost almost as much as any reference card and has better power section and cooler. 225W max isn't much so I'm not decided but the only better cards seem MSI and Gigabyte and maybe Zotac Extreme which cost much more and isn't even available.
Overclocking is limited mainly by card's power limit and voltage adjustment. I bet that modded bioses will appear soon but it doesn't change fact that most cards have only 225W max so overvoltage won't help while too high power limit may cause card to freeze or throttle.

btw http://www.eteknix.com/evga-gtx-970-feature-manufacturing-defect/

Last edited:
MSI and Gigabyte seem to have won the "970" design / performance fight this round. Unless you need external exhaust.

Either card is a great option imho. :)

I just ordered Gigabyte GTX970 Gaming. Should be in local store tomorrow.
All GTX970 can make almost the same max clocks on standard voltage. The only difference can be above "standard" OC and after raising voltage. GTX670 has ~150W TDP but they peak at ~180W ( that's without raising vcore ). Max for 2x6 or 1x8 pin is 225W so there is not much headroom for voltage adjustment. Actually 1st issue which I see is power limit at ~110-120% which is lowering max clock and next is voltage limit and max card's wattage. Power limit will be probably fixed in modded BIOSes, max wattage, not really.
It looks like manufacturers are prepared for max clocks and max power limit of 120% is actually close to max reference card wattage. From cards that I saw only ASUS has 120% power limit while all others have 110-112%.

I was dead set on getting an MSI GTX 970 but the height of the card is a couple of cm's too much for my Corsair Obsidian 250D. Then I heard bad things about the EVGA with the ACX 1.0 cooler (2.0 isn't available in the UK, not sure about elsewhere), noise etc and people stating they couldn't adjust the fan curve for some reason. So the only cards left in stock were Palit Jetstream and the Galax(y) OC model, which looked pretty nice with the backplate and good boost clock. So I sided with Galaxy one (or Galax, w/e they want to go by these days). First time buying a budget brand GPU in 13 years of gaming, but people seem to speak highly of them. I sure will miss MSI's warranty though =(

Either way, should be a nice step up from my GTX 760 - ready for the absurd amount of titles coming soon.

You might want to hold off on an Evga 970 purchase, there may be an issue with the cooler, http://www.eteknix.com/evga-gtx-970-feature-manufacturing-defect/ whether or not this affects the cooling remains to be seen.

EVGA issued a statement about it, saying they will release a BIOS update to reduce the fan speed in its idle state. Although I've read in various places that one of the two fans doesn't work, which seems very common and another being that people cannot control the fan curve.

Got mine today. Two notes:

1. The card doesn't fit in a Silverstone LC10B-E with the middle drive cage in place, gotta take it out.

2. After installing drivers and rebooting, I used the Windows resolution setting to set 1920x1080. Everything looked a bit weird. I checked Nvidia control panel, and it was set to 1080i. Moved to 1080p and now it looks fine. Be on the lookout for this stupid little issue :)

I'll be gaming if anyone needs me :p

My Gigabyte gtx970 is all installed (coming from a Gigabyte gtx670), dusted my case out while I was at it. I ran before and after tests using the 3dmark demo, Firestrike test, its the most taxing from what I've seen mentioned over on neoGAF. Install the new drivers before putting in the new car, else you are greeted with a 800x600 monitor, lol.

M6dAn3H.png

X8ET23G.png

New Nvidia driver from 9/23/14 isn't approved yet I guess....

VERY happy with the results. :D

Futuremark has also problems with new CPUs. They added fix for i7 5960X but 5820K is usually visible as 8 core 5960X.

I went for the word of mouth reliability of ASUS so i didnt have to redo my cables to make the Gigabyte barely fit if at all possible. Ordered my card after hours and the next lunchtime everything is listed as out of stock with no known date, either i got one of the last ones or they never had any in stock, will see Monday/Tuesday.

I just got GTX970 Gigabyte Gaming and I couldn't believe there is not even drivers CD in the box ... there is a sticker, download drivers from nvidia site :p

Yes but think you wish to use the card and have no internet access or can't download driver for some reason. I just think they manufactured these cards before nvidia made official drivers and they didn't want to make CD with betas. No problem for me as I never use CD unless I can't download drivers.

Last edited:
Back