• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to Connect to Teamspeak server or Steam Network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spidie2000

Registered
Hey all, Just the other day I tried to connect to our group's teamspeak server and I instantly get Failed to resolve hostname error. I also noticed that I was no longer able to connect to the steam network. I can browse the web just fine and I can log into steampowered.com but can't connect my steam client to online mode. I have been doing the Google Fu for the last 2 days reading every thread I could on this issue and none of the suggested solutions have worked for me. So far I have
Reset my router back to factory defaults
Installed new router firmware
Uninstalled my Antivirus software
Disabled Windows Firewall
Uninstalled my NIC drivers and reinstalled
ipconfig /flushdns
Uninstalled and Reinstalled TS3 Client

I even went and installed steam on a laptop I own and I was able to connect on the laptop, at this point this tells me this is not a port forwarding issue on my router, but I have not gone as far as to bypass my router all together. I am a little lost as to what the next step is, the only thing I can think of is something is wrong with my NIC, I have tried to troubleshoot for 2 days now before finally asking for help, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.

It sounds like you have a DNS redirector (i.e. malware) on your system or your DNS settings got changed for your network card. I'd check settings first, then scan the system with multiple programs.

Update - I did a full system scan on Malwarebytes. It did not turn up anything new. If i run safe mode with networking I can connect to TS3, Steam and Origin. So it works in safe mode, just not normally. I'm a little lost where to go from here other than try to reinstall windows. I have not yet tried a system restore point, but that will probably be my next step. Any other suggestions?

I did a system restore as far back as it would let me, a Critical Windows Update on 9/19. But I still have the DNS issues after the restore.

Did you check your DNS settings in your network configuration, like I mentioned?

Are there updated drivers for your NIC? Try running older drivers to test if they fix the issue.
Did you update those drivers recently, and then the DNS issues began?
EDIT: Did you install any updates recently?

Yes I have checked DNS Settings, I have also tested with the public DNS 8.8.8.8 A windows update was installed on 9/19 which is around when this problem started but I have done a system restore back to that point. I currently have the most recent drivers installed for my NIC, I will have to see if older drivers are available somewhere.

Back