• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virgin here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK, I have great news ( at least for me it is )

I covered the exposed metal with some paper and stuch another ram back in the first slot and powered on and......... It worked, no error codes and made it into uefi. Well I had disabled the affected dimm slots earlier when I first had the problem so i just reset uefi and rebooted again and It showed the ram in both slots. I still cant really test it until I can remount the cpu cooler when I get new hardware.

IMAG0451[1].jpg

What waterblock kit is that? Is that the mounting hardware that came with the block? I don't see where that bolt touching metal would be a problem because the backplate is insulated from the motherboard right?

I'd set this up outside the case still with an air cooler just to make sure everything still works.

What waterblock kit is that? Is that the mounting hardware that came with the block? I don't see where that bolt touching metal would be a problem because the backplate is insulated from the motherboard right?

Its from ebay, i'll give you the link if you want.

Quick answer is no it *wasnt* insulated, until I changed it and took the pic that is posted.

Also no doubt to what I felt on my finger, steady current.

The backplate in the picture is off the coolermaster 212 evo, that picture was after I found the metals tuching and befre the little insulating washers. The waterblock came with only 4 screws, 4 springs and 4 nuts. I didnt use the springs.

I'm using it right nw but being careful causethe water block is only on with 2 screws and not working as good as it could.

IMAG0452[1].jpg

Last edited:
I'll take it all apart tomorrow and see how it does. I'm looking for a new case now anyway.

found some screwws that woked and very happy now. Everything seems to be working fine. Maxmemm has normal results. xtu has improved alot. I just had it oc'd to 5ghz for 30 minutes. Very happy everything is working again.

I will still take it out of this case when I get a new one.

I'll add a couple more pics tomorrow of the completed job and then be done with this thread!!

To me it looks like you were causing a short.

There doesn't appear to be the use of MB spacers since there looks like there's barely any space between the MB and the MB tray. If there is, well than pictures can be deceiving.

I believe you felt a current alright. I also believe you're lucky you didn't wipe out everything that is connected to the MB, i.e. CPU, GPU, RAM and the MB it self let alone losing a ram slot or two. Its very possible everything is still ok but I would dismantle and start over.

Last edited:
Devlos, I removed the thread you started about the RAM slot issues you have/had. You are getting a lot of good help here, and the context of the entire thread helps resolve your issue.

I am using motherboard standoffs. The problem was caused by the mounting hardware touching the bare metal of the case. Was that my fault? Probably.

I think I am lucky all my components are fine. For now I just have the paper between the case and the hardware and I'm using a backplate with insulating washers. Been running all day.

So here it is. And remember I'm looking for a new case that will allow the rad inside the case and maybe different tubing although with the compression fittings my poor fingers say the tubing is just fine how it is

IMAG0452-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0457-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0462-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0465-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0466-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0468-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0470-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0471-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0472-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0473-Optimized.jpg

This is where I had a kink. Even thought I tried.

IMAG0468-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0477-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0481-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0482-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0483-Optimized.jpg
. IMAG0484-Optimized.jpg

Last edited:
Devlos, I removed the thread you started about the RAM slot issues you have/had. You are getting a lot of good help here, and the context of the entire thread helps resolve your issue.

Thanks.

And to wrap it up I' like to thank you all for your help. It was good to know that as long as no one was complaining too much I was doing ok.

Now that its all done and working I will completely taer it down and find out what more I can about the short.

Any one have experience with a good case for water-cooling, with a few big rads inside the case? I can't stand the rad on the outside.

Last edited:
Is it still alive...

OK I think I might get this NZXT Switch 810 in black. Any input would be appreciated.

If I do Ill be sure to update with pics.

And also I ran the computer out of the case for a day and everything is working just fine.

Do you have two fans under the top deck blowing up and through the radiator?

I have two fans under top deck pulling outside air in through the radiator. Would pushing air out be better? And I have a lot of fans to work with so I could even push/pull using four fans but but into or out of the case?

If the top is unfiltered, I would do exhaust up top and add another set of 2 fans for push and pull. Vice versa if its filtered than.

I have air filters. Plus this case has them built-in but removable at all the fan spots.

I will make it p/p sucking air into the case because I think the case air temp would be slightly higher than room temp making room air a little better to cool the radiator. I may be wrong but it looks like it don't matter too much.

Still looking at the 810 switch.

How much money do you want to spend for a new case? I just bought the Enthoo Luxe (Black) and it fits my UT60 360, H220X, and soon a UT60 140 radiator. All that room for just $160 on Amazon.

How much money do you want to spend for a new case? I just bought the Enthoo Luxe (Black) and it fits my UT60 360, H220X, and soon a UT60 140 radiator. All that room for just $160 on Amazon.

Thats about as much as I'd spend for the right case right now. I like that case. That case will def fit what I have and leave room for the loop to grow. I think I will get this one.

I've been looking at so many cases lately.

Back