• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virgin here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Title in reference to me never water-cooling anything before.

If you just want to look at the pics I found them on pages 1, 6, 11.

Enjoy

Hi,

Let me start with this... I know there is probly info already here but its just to confusing and some out of date.

Ok so I have never wc before but now it's time. I already have some parts but I need help finding a pump and res. I also want to use something that won't freeze because I plan to do something like starp the rad to my a/c evaporator or dunk it in an ice water filled bowl or something from time to time (unless there is a much better way)

This is what I have.
IMAG0380-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0382-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0383-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0384-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0385-Optimized.jpg
I also have a 240x45 full copper rad.
I'm limited in space so hope for a small res and pump. They can be one unit. Hopefully not seen.

I chose to get all pieces seperate so I can add to it in time (a week).
Like I said I know you could find this info with available threads but I find myself reading for tem minutes only to find the info is out of date and not relevent. Plus I wanted to see what you all thought of my new first timer project :)

The tube is 3/8 ID - 5/8 OD I have G 1/4 compression fittings otw - the rad is alphacool.

About the RAM they have nothing to do with watercooling but are they considered air cooled now that I have aftermarket heatsink? I like the chromed look whether or not they actually make any diff.

Last edited:
Unless your planning on some insaine OC. I'd drop the idea of dunking the rad or strapping it to an ac. I once thought of such things. But doing both of these is just asking for leaks and issue's. The main problem with sub ambient cooling, is condensation. Fighting condensation is not very athstetically pleasing. If you need to strap your rad to an ac just to function. You need a better rad. Not trying to be a D. Just want you to have a plesent first time. I ran all kinds of wacko crap. Gallon reservoir fishpump settups ect.

Now for your parts. A double 120 rad will work fine for a cpu only loop. Get a D5 pump with an inegrated res. If you don't want to run a res you could do a T-line. You will need to watch coolant levels more but you can hide the line. They make external reservoirs too if internal space is litmited. Your tube is fine. Compression fittings are nice. The main thing I can suggest is keep it simple. Build your loop durrible. Your loop should go pump-block-rad-res-pump and so on. A lot of places and people say use store bought fluid but I say no. Use distilled water with either a kill coil or a biocide additive. I would avoid colors and dyes. These will just gunk up later.

Also refer to the stickys. Tons of info.

I absolutely intend on doing some insane overclocking. I do appreciate the idea of doing this first loop with as little problems and most success as possible. This what i'm doing now will be just enough to keep me busy until I learn how to and have courage to go real cold. I have my eyes on phase change.

I like the idea of a T-line w/out a res. Space is kind of limited. It will be going into an cooler master 430 elite case.
h.PNG
As far as T-line goes what would the pump-block-rad-res-pump mantra be instead?

The 550ti will be replaced by a 980ti or something when it comes out.

Behind the pump. So pump_block_rad_tline_pump. You don't want the pump puming out the line lol. I've seen fill ports that mount in a hole. So drill a hole in the top of your case add a fill port. Just be careful. Bubbles don't purge as easily w a t-line. At least in my experience

You say your going to be running a 240 rad. Unless its very thin you probably wont be able to put it inside at the top. So did you plan on runing it outside suspended off the back behind the rear exhaust. If so. You could put an external res.
On another note some people say put the rad before the block not after but I belive its really just whatever works imo

The only important order of anything in a loop in res to pump. The rest doesn't matter at all. Forget the rad in the air conditioner or ice water ideas. If you want extreme cooling do it right, SS Phase or chilled water are the only 24/7 options. Start with plain water before jumping into other endeavors.

The only important order of anything in a loop in res to pump. The rest doesn't matter at all. Forget the rad in the air conditioner or ice water ideas. If you want extreme cooling do it right, SS Phase or chilled water are the only 24/7 options. Start with plain water before jumping into other endeavors.

Agreed.
You could look into peltier cooling too

I totally agree.. however as you know Florida gets HOT especially the farther south like I am (winter please come now). So I will be doing anything I can to get as close to cold as I can until I have a way to go sub-zero. I know about ss phase change but how would I get chilled water without a bucket of ice? I do have a perfectly good a/c unit already torn apart and waiting.

You say your going to be running a 240 rad. Unless its very thin you probably wont be able to put it inside at the top. So did you plan on runing it outside suspended off the back behind the rear exhaust. If so. You could put an external res.
On another note some people say put the rad before the block not after but I belive its really just whatever works imo

I will prob have rad outside case but it *might* fit inside top.

Agreed.
You could look into peltier cooling too

What is that? I'm looking it up now.

If your 120.2 rad dont cut it. Start adding more rad. Fact is with a 120.2 you will get good cooling with some OC. But you wont be able to go balls crazy with it. If it is running warm kick up the fans or add more radiator to dissipate that heat

Not with the case till death / I can exchange the case with one that has better wc options and use the cooler master 430 somewhere else.

Hells yeah, baby steps. Try it out play around, have fun. Thats whats cool about LCS. You can always upgrade/move things around. No worries you'll do fine

If your 120.2 rad dont cut it. Start adding more rad. Fact is with a 120.2 you will get good cooling with some OC. But you wont be able to go balls crazy with it. If it is running warm kick up the fans or add more radiator to dissipate that heat

The only reason I want water cooled is because I hit my limit on air. If after I do this I cant get better overclocks I will move right along to phase change.

I just found this. Its only 35$ could that be true and how long could it stay that cold while cpu under load or running bench. I LOVE the peliter.

1335-03.jpg

Hells yeah, baby steps. Try it out play around, have fun. Thats whats cool about LCS. You can always upgrade/move things around. No worries you'll do fine

"Hells yeah, baby steps." +1

I am impatient and need to work on that.

A pic of the radiator next to a pack of cigs for size comparison.

IMAG0388[1].jpg

Last edited:
peltiers are a wild and weird world. I wouldn't suggest. If this is your first dive into water "pun intedned" you will be shocked at its performance over air.

First time hence the title of the thread :)

There are so many option. WOW :0 I've got my work (research) cut out for me. In the mean time I will pick up a D5 pump with a res attached for convenience and get to it.

Thanks for the help Mudajama I think your first reply was sound advice.

So a quick question. Does the size of the res have anything to do with anything as far as function other than holding liquid? Bigger better/any size I want?

Very minimal if any at all, just pick one that fits where you want it and go!

Back