• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virgin here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know if I should start a new thread or continue here. I've already threw the wc loop in question (some earlier question) in a different computer for now until I get a new case. But the more I think about it I think I should start with a completely new loop with the new case. I don't really like a few things with this one anyway, like the cd-bay res. The cpu block was kind of a hassle, making me use my 212 evo backplate. The tube kinked in one spot.

We will see.

I have an nzxt switch 810 I'm slowly setting up. The only issues I have with it are radiator mounts for the top 140.3 don't use 15mm spacing. Which I thought was as common 140.x rads as it is on 120.x rads. So I had to get the dremel out to make the phobya g changer I stuffed up there fit. If you want push/pull I would advise something a bit thinner than the g changer(60mm) because the front fan is robbed for air and the middle and back fans would overhang the motherboard.

And the bottom radiator mount can't take a 140.2 without modification or mounting it with just two screws offset rather than all 8. If you use 120mm radiators (or a dremel :beer:)both of these problems go away and it's a nice case if you don't mind a bit of plastic.

The way I tell folks when jumping into watercooling and case buying is first get all the water cooling components you want in your loop, for future proofing as well, in a blueprint setup if you will. Than go case shopping based on the space needed for the loop. For example, if you go at least 2 GPUs in SLI/Xfire, than yes you'll want a full size super tower because you'll need lots of heat surface aka rads. A CPU and single GPU are good for small to mid size cases. Dual GPUs mid size to full size towers. It all depends on what Delta-Temps the user wants. The better the temps the more the space and more rads involved, etc, etc. Depending on your GPU configuration and future proofing, you'll want to find the right case that will make the installations smoother as well as have adequate air flow (non-cluttered) with a nice cable management to also give it a clean look.

There are many variations to go with to get you the ultimate looking and performing rig without spending a ton. Just have to be patient. In the end its always all worth it.

Supertrucker, thank you for the details I do like 810 a lot. You got me thinking of wider rads now. Would the fans still overhang with a smaller motherboard?

GtxJackBauer, what the ---- is patience? Joking. I'll keep that in mind and try to map my wc needs before pulling the trigger on a case. I def want it to look good as well as hold it all together, I've already built some ugly.

Last edited:
Well I won't be mounting a motherboard into the case until this weekend but when I put push fans on the radiator it overhung the box for the I/o shield by about a quarter of an inch. I don't think you can find a motherboard that doesn't go to the top of thr I/o plate. So if you want push/pull I would do like an alphacool xt45 to ensure it can clear any board.

If you are going to scrap your current WC build and buy new and what this case, then I would do 60mm (thick) 140.3 rad on top of the case with the Noctura Industrial 140 PWM fans (10.something for the static pressure) in push, a 45mm (thick) 120.2 rad in the front of the case with Noctura Industrial 120 PWM fans (7.somthing static pressure) in push/pull, and a 60mm (thick) 140.1 rad on the bottom with Noctura Industrial 140 PWM fans in push/pull.

I guess if the fan covers the I/O thats that because I Alphacool xt45 120.2 is what I have now. I like it but want overkill so 60mm thick at least and multiple. I will be cooling a gpu or two within the next months.

If you are going to scrap your current WC build and buy new and what this case, then I would do 60mm (thick) 140.3 rad on top of the case with the Noctura Industrial 140 PWM fans (10.something for the static pressure) in push, a 45mm (thick) 120.2 rad in the front of the case with Noctura Industrial 120 PWM fans (7.somthing static pressure) in push/pull, and a 60mm (thick) 140.1 rad on the bottom with Noctura Industrial 140 PWM fans in push/pull.

That for the luxe, cuould I fit bigger in the bottom of the case.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll get back to guys when I am sure of my cooling needs and see what I can do to over the top before I can go further.

I'm thinking of using copper pipes instead of tubing now.

I'm thinking of using copper pipes instead of tubing now.

Anything used but tubing usually means its a show rig. Its up to you but I wouldn't go that route because it takes longer to take apart and you're limited to the flexibility of having to do regular maintenance or when upgrading. If you're up to the task, by all means go ahead but for a first timer I'd stick with tubing or for a non show room rig.

Even though it def won't be show material I'd like to try the copper out. Really the only part I don't understand is what adapters.

More updates on my current water loop... soon I don't have the pics on the computer yet. But I managed to get the rad inside the case, or a case... and I painted it (the case).

All for fun and learning.

And pics soon, like tonite or tomorrow.

I need help with cables fo sho!!

IMAG0516-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0518-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0517-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0524-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0527-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0529-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0533-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0525-Optimized.jpg
olllklj.PNG
IMAG0535-Optimized.jpg
IMAG0536-Optimized.jpg

But this is the
Apex PC-389-C
G3258 Pentium
ASRock H81M-HDS
4GB HyperxBlu with the scythe kama

I will paint the silver or grey parts on the front of the case and then it's done.

I just decided to do this so not to just waste it completely when I start with my next. Let the pentium have the water.

Last edited:
Is ther anything you can suggest to hide the cables or make them better in any way??

Zip tying them. Remember cable management isn't just for looks but for better air flow inside the case.

Back