• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA's new DSR is like 4xAA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qubit

Registered
Having looked at NVIDIA's official explanation of the new Dynamic Super Resolution feature in the GTX 980 & GTX 970, it seems to me that it amounts to no more than 4xAA achieved by different means, since reducing a 4K (2160) resolution image to 2K (1080) is a 4:1 supersample, same as AA as I understand it. Check out the screenshots at the above link to see what I mean.

So, does it look better than 4xAA? How does the performance hit compare? Maxwell owners let us know.

One thing I like about it is that I can bench my card for 4K using my 2K monitor, so I can know the performance hit in my games before I get a 4K monitor.

Don't know for sure, but I suspect the downsampling is not merely averaging 4 pixels into 1 and instead also uses values of some neighboring pixels.

Back