• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proposed New Build - Comments? Siggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveMcKeen

Registered
My new build will be mainly for processing images in Photoshop. Here's what I have so far:

Cooler Master HAF 912
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ATX
CPU Cooler Enermax Liqmax 120S
DRAM 2 each G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Drive0 (OS) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s
Drive1 (Data) Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 HUA723020ALA641 2TB 7200RPM 64MB
Drive2 (Pgms, Web, Dnlds) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s
GPU EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR G-SYNC GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit – OEM
Blu-Ray Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Black Blu-ray Burner
Blu-Ray Drive LG WH16NS40 – OEM Black Blu-ray Burner
Monitor NEC PA242W Multisync
Mouse Logitech Marble Mouse USB Optical mouse PS2/USB
Keyboard Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Switch (blue) Mechanical Keyboard

Are there any glaring problems? Thanks very much.

Off the cuff...

You can get faster (much faster....) ram for about the same cost.
H100i will perform as well and be cheaper
Get a quality keyboard, will be built better and last longer.
Do you really need a blue ray burner?

Get a bigger case than the 912. It's a good cost effective case, but its probably better to spend a few More bucks to get a better one

Corsair makes the H100i.

I think for the productivity work you plan to be doing, you'd be better off with a 5820K (hex core, $400) vs a 4790K (quad core, $340). You're getting 2 extra Haswell cores for $60. Who can argue with that? The only major expense is the motherboard. Expect to shell out an additional $50-100 for a quality X99 board. Also you will need 4x4GB of RAM vs 2x8. But in the end, you will see much better performance with 6 cores vs 4 for this kind of work. That's just my opinion.

Also, there is no sense in going with an OS that is as old as Win 7. There is nothing to be afraid of with Win 8.1 and you can make it operate like Win 7 by downloading the classic shell. Win 8.1 is faster, more light weight, and is a better all around OS than Win 7.

Remember that a quality monitor is critically important for photoshop work. It should be an IPS panel with the widest possible color gamut.

Hi Noob,

If you love grammer you'll weep reading/watching/listening to the news! Forget social media!

Thanks for the 2 cents (CN) worth. BTW, my monitor is really nice> I git it from Adorama, but the Newegg # is N82E16824002827.

I guess I'm confused by bob4's DRAM recommendation. The H100i is a CPU cooler. I wonder what cost-effective RAM he had in mind? I'll do more research.

Like the H105's pump better

Think he was just saying you can get some 2133 Mhz for a few bucks more

I like the Team Extreme 2400 MHz for $ 85.00 for this typ of build

Hmmm..., I see Team Xtreme DDR3 2400 16GB (2 x 8GB) for $170. That's $340 for me if I "fill 'er up". Where are you seeing it for $85? I will make a mad dash for the source!!

Dave, seriously think about my suggestion. $50 more gets you a 6 core 5820K. The board will cost maybe $20-50 more than the Z97 board will. Altogether you're looking at $100 more for (in theory but not practice) 50% more processing horsepower.

Hi TN,

You just want me to have an ROG machine! :) It's just that what I have in the current list is already an overkill for my needs. And with the components I've got listed, graphics performance will be the weakest link. I did, however, incorporate the suggestion of Team Extreme 2400 MHz DRAM.

Hi TN,

You just want me to have an ROG machine! :) It's just that what I have in the current list is already an overkill for my needs. And with the components I've got listed, graphics performance will be the weakest link. I did, however, incorporate the suggestion of Team Extreme 2400 MHz DRAM.

I don't care whether you get an ROG machine or not. What I'm saying is that 2 more cores, double RAM bandwidth and 28-40PCIE lanes are only a few $$ away from what you have projected now. A worthwhile upgrade if there ever was one.

I appreciate the information. I will study up on your recommendation. I'm struggling with a build I put together almost a year ago and the third Windows install is showing promise. If it messes up again I'll go ahead with the new build and will lean toward the X99.

DDR4 DRAM, I see. Hmm...

Dave, seriously think about my suggestion. $50 more gets you a 6 core 5820K. The board will cost maybe $20-50 more than the Z97 board will. Altogether you're looking at $100 more for (in theory but not practice) 50% more processing horsepower.
Don't forget the ram.. quad channel DDR4 is NOT cheap and not accounted for here.

Also, the Hero he listed in the first post is $200. Is AT LEAST $50 more unless you want to cheap out on the motherboard. I would go with Extreme 6 or UD4 which would be fine, but is on the lower end of things.

To me, being a fiscally responsible person, its not worth it to spend $200+ more if its not needed. What good are all those PCIe lanes if you are not rocking more than 3 cards? A Z97 board with a PLX chip (and the space) can handle 3+ cards as well. Photoshop filters like GPUs, don't they?

Dave, if you want it, you want it... but to me personally, it wouldn't be worth the premium... but I am not you either. :)

Last edited:
Don't forget the ram.. quad channel DDR4 is NOT cheap and not accounted for here.

Also, the Hero he listed in the first post is $200. Is AT LEAST $50 more unless you want to cheap out on the motherboard. I would go with Extreme 6 or UD4 which would be fine, but is on the lower end of things.

To me, being a fiscally responsible person, its not worth it to spend $200+ more if its not needed. What good are all those PCIe lanes if you are not rocking more than 3 cards? A Z97 board with a PLX chip (and the space) can handle 3+ cards as well. Photoshop filters like GPUs, don't they?

Dave, if you want it, you want it... but to me personally, it wouldn't be worth the premium... but I am not you either. :)

Hex core i7s and DDR4 for everyone! Blargh!

with the 5820 availible now there is a reasonable argument for this platform

Cheap 2133 Microns are only a few more bucks than 16GB of DDR3 2133, and they are solid per a seinor members testing

If I were building a grinder I would be taking a close look at the x99 platform.

Thinking if frugal you could get it to with in $ 150.00 to $ 200.00 of a z97 w/ a 4790K set up

with the 5820 availible now there is a reasonable argument for this platform

Cheap 2133 Microns are only a few more bucks than 16GB of DDR3 2133, and they are solid per a seinor members testing

If I were building a grinder I would be taking a close look at the x99 platform.

Thinking if frugal you could get it to with in $ 150.00 to $ 200.00 of a z97 w/ a 4790K set up

Witchdoctor is my new best friend. Asus X99-A/5820K/Cheap Micron RAM for everyone!

5teas7b.jpg

Back