• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downgrading from a 780TI to a 560TI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

and not by choice... pictures to come. pictures are here. :cry:

The story: Nothing much to it. Was asleep, suddenly the acrid burnt electronics smell woke me up, looked at my PC, it was off when it was left on. I went to it and could tell that's where the smell was coming from. Started taking the case apart trying to localize the smells origin. Noticed the scorch marks on the vid card, and let out the usual "F***!".

No idea how or why it happened. Card had been working fine and only a couple of times did I overclock it. Last thing done with it was I installed the newest drivers (344.11). Now I gotta go through the original box and paperwork and see about getting a RMA on this thing. :(

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I haven't opened it up (nor do I plan on for warranty reasons), but that appears to be where one of the power regulating circuits are. Looks like one of the transistors on the H/S side burned up. I can see the thermal tape almost completely burned between the H/S plate and board.

I'm just happy it didn't take anything else out and the power supply did it's job.

Ouch.... Glad it didn't kill the system!

Which card is that?

MSI 780TI Twin Frozr Gaming (OC Edition) to be exact. Checking in the box there were no cards to fill out thankfully (I think I've filled in those kind of warranty registrations maybe once or twice in my life), and the website states it has a 3 year warranty, which this card is well in that window no matter if it's the manufacture or purchase date. Just need to create a account on MSI and register the card, then I sould be able to start the RMA process.

[edit] Looking at the pictures more, the scorch marks seems to indicate either hot gases or flames had shot out from the center point. Just how hot did that transistor get to burn through the board? :eek: None of the components on the rear (picture side) seems to have failed at all, so all that heat was just from the one power transistor on the H/S side failing.[/edit]

Last edited:
I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

And yes, that was part of the power section that burned up.

If you can, get a full refund and then buy a 980 or 970 to replace it with.

Looks like a trace burned open and started arcing.

I think I'm way past being able to get a full refund (purchased 12/26/2013), but if I could get it replaced with a 980, that would be sweet and worth the initial price of the 780TI. Would beat getting it replaced with a used/2nd hand 780TI.

The trace was burned by the transistor on the opposite side of the board. I wish I could get a picture of it, but it's hard to see by the naked eye alone. I might try to get a picture of it though. Still have the smell of burnt electronics lingering in the air hours later even with fans cycling air from outside through the room.

Update: New (used) card arrived yesterday. Put it in today and all is working as normal. It states on the service site that warranty replacements would be refurbished units, and this does appear to be one. You could tell it was used because the fingers showed signs of being inserted into a PCIe slot, but other then that, it looks new. No dust, and the protective plastic on the emblem is still on.

Hopefully, what happened to my original card was just a fluke. I haven't read (in my Google searches) of any other like problem, so hopefully this will last me beyond the warranty period.

Back