• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me choose a 1080p monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

I need something to replace my Samsung T190 monitor which started failing recently. I'm not really picky, but I expect a few things:

1) I never noticed ghosting with this one in games, probably because of 1ms response time. So the next one must have 1~2ms response time,
2) I watch anime. LOTS of anime. 15~20 shows per season, and a few tv series. So picture quality is a must.
3) I photoshop as a hobby, so I'm not really looking for $300+ displays.
4) I can't stand flicker.

Local stores have all the finest Samsung monitors sold out, only the 5ms ones are in stock. So there aren't many options left. I'm staying the F away from LG.

ASUS VN247H LED LCD 23.6" Wide Digital (1920 x 1080) 1ms
ASUS VG248QE LED LCD 24" Wide Digital (1920 x 1080) 1ms
BenQ XL2420Z LCD LED Full HD HDMI 24" Wide Digital (1920 x 1080) 1ms
BenQ XL2420T LCD LED Full HD HDMI 24" (1920 x 1080) 1ms

The two benq displays have nearly the same price.

Last edited:
Check out the Dell U2414H. Mine are phenomenal.
The color representation is spot-on with the factory calibrated profile.

You can catch them on sale ~$260.

The local stores and virtual ones I usually purchase from don't sell Dell stuff.

Okay, you can laugh now.

1080p is on its way out. I suggest going with 1440p or maybe even 4K.

Maybe the day I can afford 2 $500 GPUs, but that's never gonna happen. Taxes in Brazil double the prices, turning your high-end $400 video card into $700+ and that's not considering crossfire. The BenQ displays listed in my OP are going for a whooping $600+ whereas they're sold for less than 300 overseas.

I wouldn't go 1440p for your wants and the 7850 :) You are best to stick with 1080.

As far as BenQ vs the ASUS listed (particularly the VG248QE), the ASUS will have better colors out of box, whereas the BenQ will have more washed out colors out of box, but when finetuned (particularly with a Spider screen calibration unit), the BenQ will look slightly better than the ASUS.

If there is a $100 price difference for you between the VG248QE and the XL2420, I would stick with the ASUS, the BenQ is on just about even-ground with the ASUS, so any premium IMO is not worth it. This is from someone who has owned both :)

I've been reading some really bad things about colors on these monitors, enough to reconsider LG with IPS panel or even Dell... sigh. But no DVI on the Dell monitor worries me.

****sung NEVER

If you do want to go ips I'd say screw it and just go 1440 then. Your card may hold you back in pushing some games, but you would get superior color quality. Look at PLS panels over IPS :)

If you do want to go ips I'd say screw it and just go 1440 then. Your card may hold you back in pushing some games, but you would get superior color quality. Look at PLS panels over IPS :)

Not overdoing it. :p Ordering from Dell's shop website is the only way to buy anything Dell here, and delivery would take over a month. I need it for yesterday. :mad:

May I ask why Dell though?

You can find the same for half the cost going with korean brands. Look at Crossover, Yamakasi, Achieva, and QNIX.

May I ask why Dell though?

You can find the same for half the cost going with korean brands. Look at Crossover, Yamakasi, Achieva, and QNIX.

The only brands known here are the usual: Asus, Acer, AOC, Samsung, Philips, LG, BenQ, HP, and Dell once in a blue moon. That's it.

Back