• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell Tale signs of a USED CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BelieveInMe

Hello

I am considering buying a 4930k from somebody on Craigslist, although the seller is listing it as new I wondered if there are any physical signs to look out for on the processor, or whether its possible from some internal tests through the BIOS or software to check if its been used and just reboxed and resealed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If it is new, it will still be in a sealed box and it should be immediately obvious if it was opened.

If it is new, it will still be in a sealed box and it should be immediately obvious if it was opened.

The seals dont look very hard to duplicate to be honest - a 3cm squared sticker saying "Intel Factory Sealed".

I wondered if there is anything else.

Look for the box being bent when opened, or the plastic, etc. There may also be scratches on the processor if it has been mounted.

you should see witness marks where the motherboard latch slides across the flanges of the ihs when the latch is closed.

If the CPU has been used there may be scratches on the sides of the integrated heat spreader (the metal cap on the CPU) along the edges where the hold down plate has been used. Also, look for residue from old thermal compound on the CPU.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter if it's used. What matters is if it's been abused. Has it been run at a ridiculously high voltage for any length of time? That degrades the CPU. If it was just used stock for a few months that really won't affect the CPU. Might take a year off the CPUs 80 year lifespan at stock settings. You definitely won't be using it for that long.

Back