• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 970 or 980 for 2560x1440

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charles4691

Registered
Hello everyone .. Does anyone know if the gtx 970 will do 2560x1440 or better to go with the 980 ? Thank you for any info

that depends on what you're looking for. the 970 will be fast. the 980 will be faster. what do you mostly play?

Do you mind putting AA on 2x? That would be the only thing you might need to turn down to have playable FPS at 1440p. For reference, I have a 290 and in bf4, I set it to ultra preset, then custom, then turn down AA to 2x. That gives me 60 FPS or better average at 1440p. My 290 is about 10% slower than a 290x and the 290x is about equal with the 970.

I'd save the ~$200 and grab the 970 if those results are acceptable for you.

@ninjacore , thanks for the info . I had a sapphire 290 but it went belly up on me .. and figures warranty has expired ..So looking for a replacement .If the 970 can do 2560x1440 I'll grab one of the GIGABYTE G1 970's

mostly Battlefield 4 and crysis 3 but I play at 2560x1440

we're in the same boat then. i play bf4 at the same res and prefer ultra settings. my gtx 780 is about the same speed as the 970 iirc and it's good enough most of the time. it does choke on a couple maps when there are lots of players. i don't remember the name but there's lots of blowing sand and crazy physx(?) going on. also lags when there's lots of smoke nades and flares as well as too many explosions at once. if you want to be completely satisfied with your purchase and don't want to turn settings down get the 980. if you don't mind turning down msaa then 970 should be good.

Thanks for the feedback @Brando. Yes I like all the eye candy I can get in a game . I'll look into the 980 more to see all it has to offer .

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone :) Hmm, 970's in sli might be worth it .Big thanks to all who replied to my question :)

Back