• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$200 for a new card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leurk

I have about $200 to spend at max, maybe a little less actually. I need a good card for 1080p, any suggestions? Or if I should wait, I'm not getting it soon.

watch the classifieds. lots of people will be pawning off their old cards to upgrade the next few weeks.

Thanks I'll probably will wait until the gtx960 then I'll probably make my choice from there.

with all the cryptocoins tanking look at 7950's and up or r9 280's on fleabay, the miners are selling off and things are pretty cheap.

I was going to sell my old 7770 for around $70 because I've never really pushed it. I have a wiggle room of about 240ish now, I hope the GTX960 will be a good standpoint, the future holds the answers.

I was going to sell my old 7770 for around $70 because I've never really pushed it. I have a wiggle room of about 240ish now, I hope the GTX960 will be a good standpoint, the future holds the answers.

The 290x that are selling on ebay for less than 300 are pretty good in my opinion. They consume a lot of power and are hot cards though but it is relatively neck and neck with 980. Average seems to be 10 fps or less difference in most games for a little more than half the price.

Last edited:
I say wait for the gtx 960 to release as I am willing to bet that SLI 960's will compete or pass a single gtx 980 and be cheaper. Or Find a good used r9-290 x and non-x. They may be "hot" but get a good brand with a good cooler and OC to match the new series gtx.

Might be able to find a gtx 780 for cheap too now that the gtx 970 is faster and cheaper :D

If you are buying right now, check this out,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1835033

Selling an XFX 290X for $260 if you want to throw in an extra $60. This will pretty much be the top of the top AMD currently has to offer and you wouldn't have to wonder about "what if I got something stronger". Just an option as per used hardware.

*EDIT*
Just double checked and realized the part number is for reference parts, still an option (they just run hot), but there are plenty of used choices to go for.

Last edited:
The 290x that are selling on ebay for less than 300 are pretty good in my opinion. They consume a lot of power and are hot cards though but it is relatively neck and neck with 980. Average seems to be 10 fps or less difference in most games for a little more than half the price.

Everything i saw had the 290x fall short against a 970 let alone 980.

Yep 290x is just barely below the 970 not the 980.

Definitely look used if your budget is $200-250. 960 will likely be within that range with performance between a 280x (gtx 770) and 290 (780).

I've seen the following over the last week in the used department:

280x for $175
Non-reference 290 for $215
Acx 780 for $230

Those are all within 25% of they GTX 970 at 2/3 the cost, so even better value.

I didn't mean to make it seem like that. The 970 is out the question because of the price so I compared it with a 980 and the 980 is about 10%-15% better than the 290x but it is more than twice the price new. The 970 is also a good card but it is still more expensive than the 290x used. The 290x is more future proof than the 700 series so I did not offer that. They have some VR functionality and true audio etc.

If the OP can get the 970 it is definitely worth the investment. It even offers better price/performance than the 980. That is all I really meant.

But best bang for buck are those 290x used which can be had for around 250-300 for his price range.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1355
Comparison between generic 290x and 970.

Well I'm in no dire need of one right now. I have had my eye on a 290x though and was looking around for those and knowing it get's a bit hot, looking for ones with good cooling, I do however still want to wait for the 960. I could stretch quite a bit and aim for a 970 from looking at the performance, price and better temps.

Back