• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leurk

I have currently have an i3-3240 @ 3.4ghz. I'm planning on getting a better gpu because I currently have an HD 7770. Any advice for a noob like me?

if it is to improve the games, get a better card first.
if your deadset on a cpu we need to what motherboard you have.

Sounds like you want to upgrade cpu and gpu. you should Have plenty of options on the cpu, just depends on what you are wanting to spend and which gpu you go with. A good rough estimate is, in general, its a good idea to spend about the same money on your cpu as gpu.

MSI z87 G41 with an HD 7770 i plan on upgrading the gpu first but not until the gtx 960 comes out to see what my options will be.

Last edited:
I'm not really going to OC anything so I was hoping to just get the 4670 (not the K) and just hold on to that for a while. I will obviously be getting a new gpu first.

The 4670/4690 and a GTX 960 sound like very reasonable choices. You don't necessarily have to wait though. R9 280X and 290/290X are at highly enticing prices these days. Have a look at them. They'll come down even more (probably) as more gtx 9xx cards come to market.

Do you have at least a 500W 80+ bronze Power supply? If so, you're good to go. Only thing I can think of is that you might want to buy a cheap tower cooler like a Hyper 212 for your new quad core CPU when you get it. The stock Heatsink gets pretty toasty under sustained load. Might as well keep the CPU cooler and happier.

Rosewill RD600.
Would getting, let's just say, a gtx 960 or possibly toss in some extra cash for a 970 mean I would most definitely get a new cpu? I might get something else because of the price of cards dropping. Just looking for something like 1080p any game ultra area.

Rosewill RD600.
Would getting, let's just say, a gtx 960 or possibly toss in some extra cash for a 970 mean I would most definitely get a new cpu? I might get something else because of the price of cards dropping. Just looking for something like 1080p any game ultra area.

970+i3 is not a smart combo. For a 970 I would get an i5. Either pick up a 3570/3570K and use it with your current mobo or upgrade your mobo to Z97 and get a 4690/4790K. Z97 is a nice platform upgrade vs Z77. More Sata 3, M.2, Sata express...

Most Rosewill PSUs are garbage but I couldn't find yours on JohnnyGuru.

I was new to the whole building a PC thing around christmas time. I was trying to gather as much info as I could because of the NewEgg deals they were having and I only had like a couple days to do it. It was for my first PC build, I wasn't super heavy with the gaming and I wish I made some different choices now that I look back. But this Rosewill has been good to me, I plan on upgrading the main components like the gpu, cpu, psu and mobo.

on topic...
If I were to get a quite outstanding gpu first, I know it'll bottleneck, couldn't I just deal with it until I can cough up enough for a psu and a 3570k

Last edited:
I was new to the whole building a PC thing around christmas time. I was trying to gather as much info as I could because of the NewEgg deals they were having and I only had like a couple days to do it. It was for my first PC build, I wasn't super heavy with the gaming and I wish I made some different choices now that I look back. But this Rosewill has been good to me, I plan on upgrading the main components like the gpu, cpu, psu and mobo.

on topic...
If I were to get a quite outstanding gpu first, I know it'll bottleneck, couldn't I just deal with it until I can cough up enough for a psu and a 3570k

Sure you can get the GPU first but usually people get the CPU/mobo first. I'd go with an ASrock Z97 Extreme 6, a 4690K, a GTX 970 and a 550-650W Gold rated power supply. Seasonic, EVGA Supernova, Corsair, etc.

If you look at the games then faster graphics card will give much more than switching cpu+mobo. Max FPS will be limited but it's still better than get fast cpu when it won't have anything to do and play games at much lower FPS/details.
Best would be to get both but I understand there are some budget limits.

Well I'm not in a serious hurry, I'll be getting a gtx970 and then in about 2 weeks I'll be getting a 3570k. It's a serious upgrade that I can't wait for :D but I'll have to wait until it's completely done...

Last edited:
Would I really need to change my mobo? I wouldn't think so, it can do all it needs to do, I'm not into OCing or anything along those lines.

Back