• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leurk

How important are mobos for gaming? Such as Battlefield 4 on 1080p ultra as an example, I'm a bit new to this so any tips would be awesome :D

as long as the mobo supports you ram, cpu and video card properly not to much, a mid field board is all most people need, such as the asrock extreme 6 will do 90% of people just fine with few needing the upper end extreme9.

I was looking into about a mid tier board anyway but I have a MSI Z87 G41 as of now, it's been good to me so far.

Basically, any motherboard that supports and can properly power a given CPU at a given clock speed will perform just about the same as any other board that supports the aforementioned.

So, a $90 G1 sniper H97 will run a 4790K at stock and a GTX 970 at stock just as well as a $400 Maximus VII extreme. The differences in motherboards are power delivery, feature sets, connectivity, etc.

You'll get a bare bones board if you go with a B85 board ($65) with no extra SATA/USB/etc controllers or ports except the bare minimum the chipset provides, and you won't be able to do SLI. A midrange board like a Z97Extreme6 ($160) gives you more controllers, more connectivity, overclocking options.

The board you have now has either 4+2 or 6 phase power on it. That's good enough for a half decent overclock on a K SKU i5 or i7. Other than that it'll play BF4 @X resolution at X settings just the same as a $400 board will.

Hope that answers your question.

Back