• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

980GTX: 256 bit GDDR5 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The question still stands Magellan, what happens when another application needs vRAM and dumps your cache?

The question still stands Magellan, what happens when another application needs vRAM and dumps your cache?

How many people are going to be running a MySQL or Oracle DB server and gaming at the same time again?

Are there any applications outside of CUDA and gaming that use VRAM anyway?

RAMdisks compete w/all other applications on a PC for memory bandwidth.

Last edited by a moderator:
CAD uses plenty.
Any sort of GPU rendering will use vRAM. (be it CUDA, OpenGL, etc)
This can include things like photo/video editing, video conversion, and other tasks.

Anything that the GPU has to calculate or display will use vRAM.

How many people are going to be running a MySQL or Oracle DB server and gaming at the same time again?

Are there any applications outside of CUDA and gaming that use VRAM anyway?

RAMdisks compete w/all other applications on a PC for memory bandwidth.
It seems realistic to me that to start a query on your db and then do something else, like game, on your PC. ;)

Merged your double posts, BTW...

Oh, I didn't know I would get more replies.
Last time I said, I will have to wait, the card with more/higher "memory data bus" cause I might do something like NVIDIA 2D/3D Surround, which will requires more/higher "memory data bus".

Last edited:
It seems realistic to me that to start a query on your db and then do something else, like game, on your PC. ;)

Merged your double posts, BTW...

I'd like to do this at work. There would be nothing like the sounds of a firefight
throughout the cubicle barn stalls to liven up a dull work day and I could just tell them
I'm waiting on the results of an outer joined table query. :)

If you're in management, you must have some happy workers.

There's a trick to use extra VRAM as an insanely fast SSD, but that only works with the open source drivers.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap_on_video_ram

You'll do much better with GPGPU.

Interesting stuff. I might try to implement this if I ever put my 6970 into my
CentOS 5.9 box (which only has 2 GiB of RAM). I've only seen the swapfile used when
I mount VM's or use firefox to open multiple tabs to very complex websites (as to scripts,
frames and images). Any use of the swapfile on this CentOS box slows the system to
a crawl.

Back