• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to cool a laptop cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a simple box fan in that case. Since you have the unit out of its plastic shell. It may be difficult nay, impossible to find a heat sink/fan to fit on a laptop board.

Thas about what I thought too. Worth a try while I keep looking.

You could use thermal epoxy and glue a large heat sink to the processor but it's rather permanent arrangement.

I used zipties. It has excellent contact and pressure on the cpu I used force on the ties and made sure it was flat and secure. installed the fan then velcro the other fan. Usimg super old (2002) psu to power fans.

I cant get any keyboard to work with the wimdos installer, so lame. Idk allI have is a PS2 keyboard and usimg the original seems bad.

IMAG0405-Optimized.jpg IMAG0403-Optimized.jpg IMAG0408-Optimized.jpg IMAG0410-Optimized.jpg IMAG0411-Optimized.jpg IMAG0412-Optimized.jpg IMAG0417-Optimized.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0402-Optimized.jpg
    IMAG0402-Optimized.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
congratulation, Sir!
that's a ghetto godess :salute:

you might want to try a usb keyboard, maybe...

Yessir!! I had a little fun with it. The usb kb worked..... duh. Now to get all the drivers ready and get to work.

I'm having a problem now. While benching thermal throttling kick sin 100% at only 46C and brings the clock to 800mhz for most of the time running benchmarks. My cooling method does work, the temp rises nice and slow and goes back down fast but then throttling at 46C. idk

Did you overclock the cpu? If so it's possible the VRM section is trying to save itself. Another possible issue is the really old PSu?

This was before the oc just to see where everything is at. I'm getting little tiny heatsinks and putting them everywhere they can go to see if that helps. Also using the psu that came with it, the other one is only powering the fans.

There is a message at boot-up about the fan being dead or disconnected. Maybe is has something to do with that too?

I think this thing has potential for some good results if I can get the thermal throttling under control.

Hi guys, I have laptop CPU as well in a socket Socket G/G2 PGA988/BGA1288. I have small aluminium heatsink with coolermaster fan, but I would like to install something bigger and less noisy. However as it seems it is very rare breed of socket so there are not many options... I measured current cooler and the distance between holes in the motherboard that hold the cooler is 5 cm x 5 cm (heatsink at the bottom should be not larger than 5.7cm x 5.9cm). I know that there is dynatron cooler, but it looks similar to the one I have, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Do you please know about any "universal" (active or passive) cooler which can also support my socket?

Update: I actually found that with that small size I actually need universal GPU heatsink which will fit this socket... I'm searching...

Thank you guys!!!

Last edited:
There is a message at boot-up about the fan being dead or disconnected. Maybe is has something to do with that too?

plug the original fan to the header where it should belong.
you don't need to use the fan, just keep it spinning.
this should fix the issue with the boot-up.

this way, you can check if it's the real culprit :D

Hi guys, I have laptop CPU as well in a socket Socket G/G2 PGA988/BGA1288. I have small aluminium heatsink with coolermaster fan, but I would like to install something bigger and less noisy. However as it seems it is very rare breed of socket so there are not many options... I measured current cooler and the distance between holes in the motherboard that hold the cooler is 5 cm x 5 cm (heatsink at the bottom should be not larger than 5.7cm x 5.9cm). I know that there is dynatron cooler, but it looks similar to the one I have, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Do you please know about any "universal" (active or passive) cooler which can also support my socket?

Update: I actually found that with that small size I actually need universal GPU heatsink which will fit this socket... I'm searching...

Thank you guys!!!

You will prob need to make your own thread. You will get help that way I'm sure. The people here are very helpful (mostly). Welcome none the less I just joined last month myself.

I just had a lo reply but lost t :(

I will upload pics of what I had t do later. The original fan was not an option

I think this is where the problem is at.

I like the zip tie fasteners for the heat sink the best. However, I must say I'm surprised you could get even pressure on the heat sink that way. The power phase component of the motherboard would seem to be your limiting factor now. Are there options in bios for disabling the thermal throttling stuff?

Ya I really tried to make sure when I tightened it down to make it nice and even and solid contact. I think I did based on that it woks pretty good to cool so far.

The bios is extremely basic with practically no options. If the power is the problem is there any way to do anything about it? I really do think this cpu will be fun if thermal throttling can be taken care of.

I haven't been playing with it to much last few days because of other projects though. But I will.

Just because I like completeness I'll wrap this up.Iv'e redone the heatsink with wire instead if zipties and it works the same both ways. The good news is I rigged a fan

IMAG0585.jpg

and now the throttling does not happen. XTU benchmark only got it up to 65c vs 85c with the stock heatsink with no overclock.

I'm having trouble overclocking this thing, all I can do so far is lock it in turbo mode with throttle stop but thats it.

Back