• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 970 PSU Requirement Issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bellcheese

Registered
I've ordered a GTX 970 and it's arriving tomorrow, however I'm second guessing my power supply. The GPU manufacturers website states I need a 500w with 12v rating of 42A. However, my PSU is this one: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-B1-0500-KR which states the 12v has a rating of 40A. Is this going to be an issue?

I have an i5 4690K @ 4.6ghz (1.16v), 8gb 1866mhz ram (1.5v), 120gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD, MSI Z97 AC (Mini ITX mobo), MSI Closed Loop CPU Cooler and an NZXT Sentry 2 Fan controller with 4 additional fan connected.

In case it's relevant I've been running an MSI GTX 760 (heavily overclocked) now for two months with zero issues. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You have plenty of headroom in that PSU.

Awesome, is there any reason they stipulate such a high number then? Well, I say high but I suppose it's not in the grand scheme of things, either way from what you've said it sounds unnecessary.

Thanks for the help.

Awesome, is there any reason they stipulate such a high number then? Well, I say high but I suppose it's not in the grand scheme of things, either way from what you've said it sounds unnecessary.

Thanks for the help.

They're accounting for the makers of garbage power supplies (that say 500W but don't actually put out 500W), to protect themselves from any liability.

Your system in actuality (even with OC) will be hard pressed to break 300W power draw on the PSU.

They're accounting for the makers of garbage power supplies (that say 500W but don't actually put out 500W), to protect themselves from any liability.

Your system in actuality (even with OC) will be hard pressed to break 300W power draw on the PSU.

That's great to hear, I was afraid I would have to either reduce my CPU overclock or wait to overclock my GPU until I bought a new PSU. I'm assuming that even at 100% load on both CPU & GPU (I know this is rare) that it still won't reboot my system?

Thanks for the help, I was worried I'd made a huge mistake and the GPU was already in transit when I tracked it, so no chance of cancelling it haha.

You could overclock your CPU and GPU to the limits of your cooling and never even come close to the PSU limit.

In reviews full PC setups reach no more than 250-300W while playing games so as others already said 500W will be more than enough.
GTX970 has TDP of ~150W while peak for some OC series cards is about 180W. When you add other components then this ~300W max should be real for most desktops.

Well thanks all for the advice, pleased to say I got it a little over an hour ago and it runs with no issues. Performs like a monster and just demolishes my GTX 760 in benchmarks rofl.

I'm having a similar question, however with a less powerful psu...
I've got a 750 ti FTW edition and 4670k, no fancy cooling or any overclocks or anything, with a Corsair CX430, since it was only around $15 to $20 after MIR, and I initially used an 8600gts.

Anyways, planning on selling the 750 ti with a few other odds and ends to buy an ASUS STRIX 970 when it becomes available on NewEgg. Would I need a new PSU? I don't like being so close to the real world draw, but i have no idea if it'd be okay.

Back