• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand New Warranty Replaced EVGA GTX 570 still crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toastslave

Registered
So I got a warranty replacement for my GTX 570 due to the fact it was always crashing after trying everything I could think of to fix it. But even now with the brand new card it continues to crash, I've tried older drivers, I've tried re installing the OS, i've made sure its mounted perfectly. The only thing I can think is maybe for some reason my 750W power supply isnt giving it enough juice anymore, because when I put my GTS 250 in (which only requires one 6-pin power connector instead of two) I have no issues and it never crashes. Anybody have any idea what I can do, this card was pretty expensive when I bought it 2 years ago.

BOUGHT A NEW 1000W POWER SUPPLY AND ITS STILL CRASHING

Last edited:
Now that I'm looking its actually 750W, and its an Alienware NPS-750AB-1 B

Yikes. I would put money on that being the issue. I'm guessing it's quite old? And Alienware is the Beats Audio of computer wares, so definitely time to replace it. You should need anything more than a solid 500w unit to properly power your system. Corsair CX600 can be had for as little as $30 after rebate. I'd look for one of those if you're trying to save money.

If you have a buddy with a different power supply, you could test it out with his?

Haha yeah it's pretty old, it's the only part in this machine I haven't replaced since the original purchase. I'll try a different one and post my results here later.

I just don't understand why it would work for my GTS 250 but not my GTX 570

I just don't understand why it would work for my GTS 250 but not my GTX 570

The GTS 250 draws less power. The PSU might be stable at 200w but crap out when you ask it to deliver 350w, or whatever the actual numbers may be.

I would definitely replace that PSU. What's your budget for a new one?

I'd look at an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W.
It's overkill, but it's within your budget and arguably the best bang/buck on the market.

Shoot, even take budget out and it's one of the best out of any unit in that power range.

+1 atminside.
I have the g2 850 watt and it's killer, overkill for my rig but well worth the money.
I replaced a 1050 watt cheaper unit that cost more than the 850 and the evga g2 850 even improved my clocks

OMG! I just bought a brand new 1000W power supply, and still the graphics card keeps crashing, it will go to a black screen on and off then it will completely crash, i'm so ****ing confused now this makes no sense. Could EVGA have just sent me back another faulty card?

I almost want to give up on computers right now... I see no logical explanation for this

About all you can do now is try the video card in another machine and see if it still crashes.

I wouldn't trust that Coolmax to run a 570, this coming from personal experience with that PSU.

Get the PSU that I recommended earlier in this thread.

so you think the new 1000W PSU is not going to power it but the 750w one you linked will? i dont get that

It's a quality thing. Coolmax makes garbage PSUs that rarely meet their rated specs.

The EVGA unit is one of the best quality units on the market today.

My Coolmax 1000W wouldn't run an 1100T and GTX 770 properly, but the unit I replaced it with (an OCZ ZT-750) ran without a hitch.
Nothing changes besides the PSU.

As others will eventually say in this thread; never, ever skimp out on the PSU! It's the heart of your system. Don't go by the wattage rating on the case. The garbage PSUs can't deliver whatever power they label the PSU as, and if they even get near that amount of wattage, the power will be so dirty that it would cause problems with your system, in the worst case, die in a glorious fiery blaze of a whimper, while killing components in your system.

The PSU recommended (EVGA Supernova [can't go wrong really with any of them]) is currently the best PSU, both in power delivery, and in price. They outperform everything in their price range, yet cost 2-3x less then anything with the same quality, build, and performance.

Back