• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Powershell tools/remote desktop: VPN laggy over 1Mbit DSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'm doing some web development (ugh) on a windoze box (ugh) using Mobaxterm and powershell tools/remote desktop and it's laggy as hell
over my VPN and 1 Mbit DSL connection. I'm thinking of paying for a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot and a pay-as-you-go plan just to finish
up this web development work. Would this resolve the lag problems I'm having w/powershell tools/remote desktop and Mobaxterm?

I really wish windoze 2003/XP/7 came with an SSH server instead of telnet and ftp. Does anyone in their right mind still use telnet and
ftp over anything except a private network?

Your problem isn't the sluggishness of RDP/Powersehll/Mobaxterm, it's just that your internet connection sucks. Going over a VPN certainly doesn't speed things up, either. 4G LTE will be significantly faster (depending on location) than your 1Mbit DSL connection. I get LTE speeds of around 45-60mbps here.

What sort of interactions do you need with the remote machine that FTP or RDP aren't sufficient for? You can use Powershell to get a PS shell on a remote server, you could also install cygwin (or similar) with openssh, but what does that buy you? Can you not just edit the files locally and deploy to the remote server when you're ready to test? Or better yet, run a local IIS instance to test and deploy after you've tested locally.

I'd like to run an SSH server on the server in question, but it's not my call. FTP is disallowed by company policy and may even be blocked by their firewalls. They're not using IIS, but apache.
I think I'm going to implement your suggestion of dl'ing the existing source and working locally, and only use the VPN for connection to the backend oracle DB and/or uploading the source to the development server.
Someone else pointed out that because of the constant screen refreshes being sent through a remote desktop session I would be eating up the data cap for any 4G LTE connection rapidly.
Thanks for the information pcgamer4life.

Your problem isn't the sluggishness of RDP/Powersehll/Mobaxterm, it's just that your internet connection sucks. Going over a VPN certainly doesn't speed things up, either. 4G LTE will be significantly faster (depending on location) than your 1Mbit DSL connection. I get LTE speeds of around 45-60mbps here.

What sort of interactions do you need with the remote machine that FTP or RDP aren't sufficient for? You can use Powershell to get a PS shell on a remote server, you could also install cygwin (or similar) with openssh, but what does that buy you? Can you not just edit the files locally and deploy to the remote server when you're ready to test? Or better yet, run a local IIS instance to test and deploy after you've tested locally.

I'm pretty sure RDP is optimized to use the least amount of bandwidth possible. At first glance, it may seem counter intuitive, but it's not like RDP is a 1080p live stream of a console on the physical machine. I don't know a ton about the protocol, but I think any relatively normal use would be maybe a few megs of bandwidth, far below any cap imposed by the provider. Again, though, if you're using a VPN then your overhead will be higher, but still nothing astronomical.

Back