• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Failed rotary fittings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Very disappointed. I'm putting together my new Haswell build and I've got two leaks. Both from rotary fittings, and both leaking at the rotary itself. Are these garbage and need to be replaced or is there any way to get them to seal again?

I was so looking forward to putting this through its paces tomorrow. :(

When you were installing the compression top, did you unscrew them any? When you do, the rotary fitting like to go along for the ride and unscrew as well.

I don't understand. There are no compression fittings involved here. The rotary part of a rotary fitting just spins, it doesn't unscrew or tighten or loosen in any way that I'm aware of.

XSPC. The two that are leaking are both 45 degree fittings. They're a little over a year old.

Yes, exactly those. I wasn't aware that they could be disassembled. How does one get the pieces apart and does it use the same o-ring as the screw fitting on the base?

I've already ordered replacement fittings so I'll have them as soon as possible. According to all the reading I've done, rotary fittings are not rebuildable. The only thing you can replace is the O-ring on the threaded fitting, and that's not where my problem is. If anybody knows of a way to rebuild these things, I'd sure love to hear/read details.

I've tried to pull one apart but no luck, if you can disassemble them, an O-ring may be tuff to find. I would discard them just to be safe and buy new ones, they're not very expensive. Ooops, didn't see post #8.

Sometimes they leak if they have been subjected to any sideways torque. I have never had one leak in my years of WCing, but have heard of them leaking due to staining the rotary part.

There was and is no lateral pressure on these when fully installed, however I did man handle the fittings and lines of it a little as I was swapping components out this time. That's probably what caused the whole thing.

Probably a bit of Murphy's Law, too. I wasn't anticipating having any leaks, so I didn't have the system fully paper toweled for leak testing. Silly move and a bit of a rookie mistake, but all seems to be going well so far about an hour into leak testing. Nothing got hit by more than a few drops and nothing was powered on, so hopefully it was just a minor hiccup and I'll get to put it through its paces tomorrow.

Last edited:
The rotaries I use have compression fittings attached to them. If I unscrew the compression fittings, the rotaries unscrew as well causing leaks. If they are leaking at the bends, I would just replace them.

I am sure it wasn't a few bad fittings but just you moving it around might have caused it. No biggie, we learn and move on and don't forget your towels on that gear even though its off. Make sure nothing got wet and its dry so it doesn't possibly cause some type of corrosion later on a metal bit on the MB.

I only use the reputed Bitspower. Sure they're pricey but have been known to have great rotaries.

I also have put some pressure on a Bitspower 45 degree rotary and started getting a few drips back months ago when I was upgrading the rig for the millionth time.

Well, when I turned it on the video display had some RAM corruption signs on POST so I shut it down and let it dry out a while longer with the fans running. Next boot attempt resulted in a "No video card or bad video RAM" beep code.

She might be dead, Jim. I swapped in my 750ti for the time being while I give the 660ti even longer to dry out, but I don't have high hopes.

WOO-HOO! IT'S NOT DEAD!!

I'd already started shopping replacement options, but I'm happy to report that none will be required at this time. (my wallet thanks me) I benched and stressed the system for another day and half to keep temps inside the case semi-toasty while the card just "hung out" unplugged from power and out of the PCIe socket. Plugged it all back in just now and, crossed fingers, and it seems ok. POSTed, booted, and ran Heaven for 10 minutes. No hiccup. Time will tell, but I think I might be in the clear.

Interesting side note, the 750ti seems to be a much more capable performer paired with this Haswell than it was behind my old QX9650. I'm really digging this new setup in a lot of ways. I'm very satisfied on a cost/improvement front.

It was just toying with me, apparently. After running like a champ and not a glitch for a few hours last night, now it's back to its old self. First it wouldn't POST, then it POSTed but was filled with graphics glitches. It seems as though some part of the vRAM has been affected. I doubt that's fixable in any particular way.

Shucks, might have to wait a few months to get this resolved. In the meantime, I'll be drooling all over Maxwell.

I have a bad history with those rotary fittings.
The two I have are Y splitters from Alphacool.
Both use to leak in the rotary junction. Not in the nozzles, so replace the O ring doesn't make it any better.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...w_Rotary_Y_Connector_-_Chrome.html?tl=g30c499

It drops really slowly, maybe one drop per hour and left a water mark in my case, no mobo damage because of it, lucky me...

Back