• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please with new build USB 3.0 painfully slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klrman

Registered
Edit: All good now. SD card to SSD is working at 538 MB/s so I got if figured out.

Last edited:
I was going to respond by having you check for new drivers.

Would you please post your solution for future users?

Also, what equipment did you buy/install. We always like that stuff.

I got win-7 to check all the USB drivers and it came back they were all up to date, but I re-installed them all again and it's working now, so who knows, but it works and is blazing fast so I'm happy now.

My full build is:

NZXT Phantom 630 Case (white)
i5-4690
MSI GTX 660tf
MSI Z97 U3 Plus
EVGA Supernova G2 750w psu
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB for boot drive
840 Pro 256GB for everything else.
Orico USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Multi-Card Reader
Pioneer Blu-ray Burner BDR-209DBK
ASUS dvd burner
Win-7 Home Premium 64 bit

I've been reading about bitcoin on this forum and maybe I can use this build to get some coins, but to be honest, after reading bitcoin threads here, I still understand nearly nothing on how it actually works. I'm going to need time to see what is really involved and if it is something I could actually do.

I've been reading about bitcoin on this forum and maybe I can use this build to get some coins, but to be honest, after reading bitcoin threads here, I still understand nearly nothing on how it actually works. I'm going to need time to see what is really involved and if it is something I could actually do
Let me stop you right there. Its not worth it to GPU mine. That ship sailed a couple of months ago.

You should also create a signature so we always know what hardware you have. ;)

Let me stop you right there. Its not worth it to GPU mine. That ship sailed a couple of months ago.

You should also create a signature so we always know what hardware you have. ;)

Thanks EarthDog, saves me a lot of reading :) OK, will create a signature too.

Well......USB 3.0 playing up again.. Fast/slow/not recognized at all/hanging.... it just goes on and on no matter what is plugged into it. If I disable windows update on win-7, would this allow me to uninstall and reinstall the latest MSI USB 3.0 drivers or will windows jump in and install their own afterwards? I remember reading somewhere, but can't find the link anymore, about windows-7 doing something screwy with USB 3.0 even when updates is turned off but I can't re-call everything I read.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for that link! Exactly what I was looking for :)

Have you installed the latest BIOS for your board some updates fix USB 3.0 issues just recently updated a friends ASUS RAMPAGE GENE board and it had Stability improvements and USB 3.0 fixes

Here is a link to your board on the UK site http://uk.msi.com/support/mb/Z97_U3_PLUS.html#down-bios

1.4 is the latest version and here's what it fixes

- Removed 1024MB option in "Integrated Graphics Share Memory" of BIOS.
- Adjusted CPU fan down time back to 0.3 sec.
- Improved USB keyboard compatibility.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Enhanced MFlash function.
- Improved some BIOS items can not be changed after clear CMOS

If you haven't updated maybe worth doing

Have you installed the latest BIOS for your board some updates fix USB 3.0 issues just recently updated a friends ASUS RAMPAGE GENE board and it had Stability improvements and USB 3.0 fixes

Here is a link to your board on the UK site http://uk.msi.com/support/mb/Z97_U3_PLUS.html#down-bios

1.4 is the latest version and here's what it fixes

- Removed 1024MB option in "Integrated Graphics Share Memory" of BIOS.
- Adjusted CPU fan down time back to 0.3 sec.
- Improved USB keyboard compatibility.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Enhanced MFlash function.
- Improved some BIOS items can not be changed after clear CMOS

If you haven't updated maybe worth doing

I've thought about it, but so many have bricked their boards on updating BIOS that I have been very hesitant. I read the MSI forum
all the time and people who have updated using the correct procedures often have never ending problems, so I didn't want to open
a new can of worms. It seems MSI has a real problem with this.

Hrm. Sounds like a paralyzing situation. The bios are very possibly the problem... but updating the bios might cause worse damage.

I'd just cross my fingers, and update the bios.

Hrm. Sounds like a paralyzing situation. The bios are very possibly the problem... but updating the bios might cause worse damage.

I'd just cross my fingers, and update the bios.

Yeah, I'm very tempted. Just deciding if the possible down time of RMA'ing a board is worth it at the moment if BIOS update goes screwy on me. My next build with have a more fail safe board for updating which I never even thought about on my first build. Should have read more info on forums like this one before purchasing a board without dual BIOS.

Back