• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 280 Black Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Insane Scyth

Hello everyone! I'm doing a new build for a friend, and I am having some issues getting it to boot with the R9 280 installed. When I boot, I get nothing on the screen. No post or anything. However, when I remove the card and use the onboard video, it posts with no issues. I have tried different power cables, different PCI-E slots, but still nothing. At this point I'm feeling the card is dead. Anyone have any other things to try? Unfortunately I do not have a spare card or another computer I can put the card into at the moment. Thanks for the help!

Specs
Asrock Extreme 4 Z97
Intel i5 4790k
Asus R9 280 DirectCU
Crucial MX100 256 GB

Here's what you'll want to do:
- Install the GPU
- Plug monitor in to onboard video
- Boot to UEFI
- Go to Advanced -> Primary Graphics Adapter -> PCI Express
- Save and Exit
- Shut down
- Plug monitor in to GPU

Good point.. but I assumed he would be looking at the post code LED on the board to make that determination and not a lack of picture on the monitor, LOL!

Alright, I set the default graphics adapater to PCI Express. There was no change.

I was a little tired when I wrote not posting. I'm not seeing the post, but the debug LED is getting to AE, which I believe means successful post.

That they are, and I tried two different power plugs. Luckily, this is a nice video card and it does have LED indicators above the plugs. The power supply is also a Corsairs CX750M. I have some picture below. Sorry the quality is bad, but when I put flash on, the quality is much better but you can't see the LEDs well.

Both Powered On
IMAG0163.jpg

Only One Powered On
IMAG0164.jpg

It's probably either a defective card or a compatibility issue between the motherboard and card. Compatibility issues are rare, but do happen from time to time.

Unfortunately I have not. I only have one other computer at the moment, and since I am on call for work in the evening, I can't afford to have my computer down for that long in case I am needed. I'm going to go ahead and get a new card through Amazon, should be here Thursday. Hopefully this will fix the issue and its not a motherboard problem.

I just wanted to update this thread since I found the issue.

I replaced the graphics card from an ASUS DirectCU II R9 280 to a Gigabyte Windstream R9 280. Screen was still blank, but this time I was getting an error code D6 ("The VGA could not be recognized. Please clear CMOS and try re-installing the VGA card. If the problem still exists, please try installing the VGA card in other slots or use other VGA cards."

Since I had cleared the CMOS, I decided to remove the video card and make sure UEFI was set to PCI Express for the primary graphics. Unfortunately, now the computer won't even boot. I see some of the fans trying to spin on, but nothing else.

Since its the weekend now, I was able to start swapping out computer parts with my main rig. First I swapped is the power supply. The computer booted up perfectly with the graphics card installed.

Looks like I just got unlucky with a doa Corsair power supply. I'm glad I used Amazon to buy the parts, returns are so much easier with them.

Sounds like it's time for an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W or 850W to me ;)

Glad the issue was that easy for you to find!

Back