• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 550 watt PSU enough for this system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blazenarrow

Hello everyone,

Yesterday my Corsair TX650 crapped out, and I am ordering a new Seasonic G series PSU. I've looked at several online PSU calculators, and they say around 350-450 is recommended for my system. However I just wanted all your opinions.

My first thought is that having a slightly higher wattage will allow for a quieter operation, because it won't need to get even close to load in order to power everything, thus the fan won't need to spin as much. Is this correct logic?

Second, will a higher wattage system keep a more stable OC?

Specs:

i5 4670K @ 4.4 w/ 1.29
asrock extreme6 z87
coolermaster evo
16 gigs 1866mhz DDR3 RAM
2 x 1TB WD black 7200
1 x samsung 128 840 pro
1 x samsung 256 evo
dvd/cdrw drive
4 x 120mm fans
AMD 7870
ASUS xonar essence STX

Yes, the G-550 is more than enough, even with heavy OCing.

No, more wattage won't help stabilize. Clean power delivery can though. (you won't notice any difference with the G-550 or something more expensive though)

Yes, the G-550 is more than enough, even with heavy OCing.

No, more wattage won't help stabilize. Clean power delivery can though. (you won't notice any difference with the G-550 or something more expensive though)

Thanks for the reply. Ok now I have another question. When ordering the G-550, I was doing so based on the amazing review JohnnyGuru gave, however after ordering I realized that the GREAT review came from the G-650, not the 550. The 550 was still good, but not as great.

I don't know much about PSU's. However if you look at his review of both PSU's, the 650 seems to perform much better. Now, I am wondering if it is a better idea to get the G-650 instead, as it's about $30 more.

Can anyone explain the possible differences I will experience between the two? The 650 will eat a lil more power, but will the stability make it worthwhile??

On that note, should I just get the 660 platnium?
Thanks!

Just go for the G-550. It's a solid unit at a great price.

Platinum is a waste of money.

It's a Seasonic. You'll be golden.

Just go for the G-550. It's a solid unit at a great price.

Platinum is a waste of money.

I want to try and understand the differences between PSU models. Can you explain why these models (G-550 & G-650) get such difference scores if they are so similar? What advantages does the 650 have by being more efficient and stable?

Like why would anyone get the x series over the g series if they are the same??

EDIT: I see the EVGA 750 G2 is around the same price as the G-650, and seems to be better quality. :-/

Without some knowledge of how electrical circuits work there's a LOT that it isn't worth explaining.

Take it from us that the G-550 is a solid PSU and will serve you well.
A 9.2 from JonnyGuru is an awesome score, I'm not sure what you're fretting over.

People buy Platinum rated PSUs because they think they'll save money by getting 2% better efficiency.
But they don't, because of the price premium. It won't change performance one bit.

Yes, the EVGA SuperNova G2 series is one of the best lineups out right now.
But you don't need that much wattage at all unless you plan on Crossfire.

Ok Ok, I see. :)

THanks for the info. Last question: i've had trouble getting past 4.4 with my chip, is there ANYWAY that simply getting the platinum seasonic or the EVGA would allow me to get higher OC with same voltage settings?

The Platinum or EVGA won't help any more than the G-550.

But yes, dirty power from a failing PSU can limit your OC.

Back