• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 + 6300 Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Capture.JPG
And my case is.
Cooler Master HAF XM - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Two External Drive Docks.
It's got lots of airflow.
These are my idle temperatures.

6/25/2013 Inv #102707288Shipped Replace
Order #163893336
$6.38
Tracking #:
1ZX799470301491532
BYTECC SATA-118C 18" Serial ATA-150/300 Cable w/Locking Latch
7/10/2013
1 x BYTECC SATA-118C 18" Serial ATA-150/300 Cable w/Locking Latch
6/25/2013 Inv #102707287Shipped Replace
Order #163886896
$68.99
Tracking #:
1ZX799470301491532
LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM
7/10/2013
1 x LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play ... - OEM
6/24/2013 Inv #102707397Shipped Replace
Order #219374458
$697.79
Tracking #:
1ZX799470301491532
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch
Write Review
1 x RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with ...
Rosewill 25GB 4X BD-R 50 Packs Blank Blu-ray Media Silver Surface Model RCDM-10009
Write Review
1 x Rosewill 25GB 4X BD-R 50 Packs Blank Blu-ray Media Silver Surface Model RCDM-10009 - OEM
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX
Write Review
1 x AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G
Write Review
1 x Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
MSI Free Gift Coupon
Write Review
1 x MSI Free Gift Coupon
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Write Review
1 x Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Write Review
1 x GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Logitech M100 910-001601 Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse
Write Review
1 x Logitech M100 910-001601 Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Write Review
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet PCTV tuner (A188) A188-AF PCI-Express x1 Interface
7/21/2013
1 x AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet PCTV tuner (A188) A188-AF PCI-Express x1 Interface
MSI R6570-MD2GD3/LP Radeon HD 6570 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card
Write Review
1 x MSI R6570-MD2GD3/LP Radeon HD 6570 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card
ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter
Write Review
1 x ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter
6/24/2013 Inv #102645378Shipped Replace
Order #219374478
$41.99
Tracking #:
1Z4F85331272677100
Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3S8N9K2/4G
Write Review
1 x Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3S8N9K2/4G
6/24/2013 Inv #102662104Shipped Replace
Order #219374498
$132.98
Tracking #:
Cooler Master HAF XM - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Two External Drive Docks
Write Review
1 x Cooler Master HAF XM - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Two External Drive Docks

Need any more info????

Idle temps are not very helpful, normally, unless they are really high which indicates poor contact between cooler base and cpu face.

What are you using to cool the CUP with? I don't see that in the list.

Idle temps are not very helpful, normally, unless they are really high which indicates poor contact between cooler base and cpu face.

What are you using to cool the CUP with? I don't see that in the list.

I believe I have stated that already. I use the stock heat sink and fan to cool the CPU.

You now have a yellow star under your user name which indicates you have access to the Signature tool. Please create a signature so that your system info will travel with every post. If there had been a "Sig" in place I would have seen quickly what cooling you are using and you wouldn't have had to repeat that. People helping you don't want to have to comb through a long thread to find some basic piece of information like that about your system.

Okay.
Well then this is more of a test post, to see how it looks.

One thing..... how warm is the room your computer is in? your room temp can make a big difference. I agree with Trents TMPIN2 is most likely your socket temp. There are a few things you can do to help lower them though with only a 4 + 1 power phase it leave me wondering if it is worth spending more money chasing something that might not be reachable.

Here's a little test you can do to possibly determine some of your cooling issues. Take the sides off your case and point a house fan in and test your tempo under load and see what your tempo are.

I'm not home but may check in later or tomorrow depending if I have any time.

One thing..... how warm is the room your computer is in? your room temp can make a big difference. I agree with Trents TMPIN2 is most likely your socket temp. There are a few things you can do to help lower them though with only a 4 + 1 power phase it leave me wondering if it is worth spending more money chasing something that might not be reachable.

Here's a little test you can do to possibly determine some of your cooling issues. Take the sides off your case and point a house fan in and test your tempo under load and see what your tempo are.

I'm not home but may check in later or tomorrow depending if I have any time.
On idle, it doesn't help at all.
Under load, it runs cooler by only 4 degrees.
I have no idea what room temperature is.

FievelJ, the next step would be for you to go out and purchase a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cpu cooler and then report back to us. You really have no where to go with this until you get better cooling and that would be true even if you got a better motherboard.

FievelJ, the next step would be for you to go out and purchase a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cpu cooler and then report back to us. You really have no where to go with this until you get better cooling and that would be true even if you got a better motherboard.

Looks really good. Looks like something which would absorb the heat well, and then remove it from the cpu.
If I can get enough from my payee, I am thinking about going water though. Both are probably good ideas.
I also have a feeling, that I am not the only one having problems keeping this cpu cool.

PS.

I like this in your Sig. (Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6)

I just hope he forgives me for being gay.

To get the same cooling power from a water system you will pay more money than you would for good air cooling. Water cooling is not automatically better than air cooling and has other potential issues. For instance, if your water cooler's pump dies then your CPU could be toast. Air coolers don't die. Even if the fans stop there's enough cooling left to prevent damage to the CPU. Just better give all that some thought.

You have a PM.

To get the same cooling power from a water system you will pay more money than you would for good air cooling. Water cooling is not automatically better than air cooling and has other potential issues. For instance, if your water cooler's pump dies then your CPU could be toast. Air coolers don't die. Even if the fans stop there's enough cooling left to prevent damage to the CPU. Just better give all that some thought.

You have a PM.

I had one before, and I really liked running on water cooling.
I don't run the system 24/7. So, they water pump would have a lot of breaks... that's just so long as it's not bad for a water cooling system, to be shut down, during the night, and at times which I don't use it. I use my 6300 for High Def encoding, and burning. I like working with High Def. The only gaming I do, could be done on a 1.5GHz system. Mostly anyway. The Project64 N64 Emulator could be ran on something much slower, and still run in full. It's more of a hobby then anything, to overclock as far as I can. But it does also help with encoding times. Giving the motor a lot of breaks, I probably won't burn it out, before I buy a new computer. I probably will give it more thought, when I reach the max I am allowed to save, of 2,000. I don't know how it works for sure though, having a payee. If they get too funny with me, I'll appoint a new payee.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't really do anything demanding that needs overclocking but it's just the challenge.

Today's reality and the hOt and power hungry FX processors.

FievelJ, going to try and get thru this time.

In post #22 you show a HWMonitor image with 1.22x Vcore which is very low considering the the higher Vcore of most FX-6300 cpus we have seen come thru this forum. LOW initial Vcore BUT already HIGH Temps compared again to what is 'normally'
seen up until now on FX-6300.

TMPIN0 is what is called surrounding area temp and at 30c is about most see in an average room in a home.

TMPIN1 is most likely the NB or VRM temp. 47c is okay at Idle and to be expected on a
cheap0 mobo with little heat sinking of the board to deal with the hot components of the
motherboard itself.

TMPIN2 is probably but not certain the CPU Socket temp and at 37c is fine at idle.

Then you move on down to the FX-6300 Package temp which is showing 37c also.
MOST of us with g00d cpu cooling see that package temp as 12c to maybe 19c
or close temps to those numbers. In other words we see temps of the package as BELOW room
temperature and that is impossbile with air or water cooling. That is how we know with
word from AMD technical representatives that idle temps on FX cpu mean little, but the
idle temps can point a big finger at overall cooling problems and you have them.

One of the lowest heat producing Vcore to cpu that we have seen and yet at idle your various temps are pointing directly at poor cooling.

In my post #19, I wrote that going to water cooling will reduce air to the VRM circuit and also reduce air to the area of cpu that TMPIN2 is showing. That area cannot be left without adding a fan to again move air if you go water cooling. PERIOD.

1. You do not have a motherboard capable of adequetely supporting the overclock that a good FX-6300 can normally be overclocked to for good performance in Video Editting.

2. In addition you do not have enough cooling to operate the cpu in an overclocked
condition. It is too hot at just 3.9Ghz shown in your images. My Video editting software
will push my cpu to 100% usage on all 8 cores when run in an overclocked condtion.
Knowing that P95 Blend loads to 100% on the cpu cores is why we test with it and
in the case of my video editting software, P95 is a good indicator if I will have issues when
under video encoding load.

3. It is most likely in the current state of cooling that it would be safer overall on your cpu and VRM of the motherboard, that you clear the CMOS and go back to motherboard bios defaults and run the FX-6300 as AMD intended it to operate. Used as AMD designed and intended the cpu operate....your temps will be managable and safer for the mobo circuits and the cpu.

4. The motherboard is certainly NOT designed to support the speeds that a good FX-6300 can reach when overlocked and cooled as it should be. Since the board is not much to begin with, to buy a CM 212EVO cpu cooler is about the only expense that is not a waste of money. The CM 212EVO air cooled cpu cooler is not so expensive and would still push air over the mobo as is certainly required. To spend more than about $30.00 Usd on any cooler is a waste, since awesome cooling is not going to be able to overcome a very weak motherboard.

Wish there were another actual truth about reality, but there is not. You are probably in a group of over 100 users that have come wanting to overclock an FX processor but had bought far too cheap a group of components to get the type of overclock they had in mind. Luck man.
RGone...

Think if I get a Sabertooth 990FX down the road, would that help?
That's what I am thinking about doing, if this board just can not handle it.
Do you think the Asus Sabertooth can handle such a task?

Okay this isn't right.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
No listing for max temps?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4395#ov
High Temperature Protection
GIGABYTE uses All Solid Caps (Capacitors) and Low RDS(on) MOSFETs which are rated to work at higher temperatures.

View attachment 154359
Don't ask me what the max is, cause I don't know.

Supports next generation of 45nm AMD AM3 CPU

This motherboard designs with Split Power Plane, 4+1 phase VRM to support AMD the latest 45nm AM3 Phenom™II/ Athlon™II processors, delivering the great performance enchantment to system and ultimate scalability hardware expending.

This statement above taken from the link you provided says allot ....... my take is this board was designed for the AM3 boards and although the CPU support list does include even the newest FX8370 (95wat) CPU wouldn't want to put one on this board. Remember its Gygabytes job to sell motherboard. Their reputation with the AMD boards is quite lengthy for bad design especially in power delivery, a real unfortunate fact.

It is a big job cooling these FX CPU's when you push them I think I have bit over $1000 into my cooling alone for my syatem

Well then I believe I'm think in terms of getting a Sabertooth. Although, the Asus Sabertooth 990FX isn't cheap. It is cheaper then some Intel boards. As long as it's better then what I have. I believe I'll wait a little while though, before I get one. I also am hoping to get permission to save for my other dream. I wanna save money for a Trailer, to live in. But that's when I am nearer to 50 then I am. I am also hoping for a few other things. But.
What comes between, I'd like a slightly better board, so I can take further advantage. ;)
Glad for the replies, and advice. :)

(UPDATE)
I placed in the request for the funds, and was approved by the Payee service. A payee service is something setup to manage ssi and ssd funds, when they believe the client can not manage their own money. If I did have access to my own money, I would have it spent in a week. I wasn't good handling my own money as a child, and I'm still no good at it. I will be ordering an Asus Sabertooth 990FX, just as soon as I can get the funds into my paypal account. I'll let all know, when I get it, and have it installed.

(UPDATE)
I ordered an Asus Sabertooth 990fx from newegg.com.
I'll have it sometime next week. After installing it, I'll start a new subject, to announce how things are going.

Last edited:
Back