• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Chinese Watercooling!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsws100

Hey Guys.

I recently purchased a waterblock for my AMD cpu from china. it was £16 delivered, and i wanted to share my experience.

This is the waterblock: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-PCS-CPU...K_Computing_Water_Cooling&hash=item3ce78fa4ce

A lass from my work was getting rid of her zalman reserator 1plus, which is the reason i did this project in the first place. I was using the stock AMD cooler, which other than being quite noisy, isnt all that bad.

a mate of mine 'acquired' some piping for me from his work. its 10mm OD and 8mm ID, and he also got some push fittings to match.

anyway...what you're about to see is possibly the most shanty/ghetto solution possible.

here the finished product
IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

as the PCD is NOT meant for my socket, i had to improvise a little. by using the stock fans clamp mechanism, and a bit of spare pipe as a spacer.

It actually works really well.

My temprature under 100% load is 24degrees, and idling, around 12degrees. im running an 8core AMD processor, at stock clock speeds.

the block leaked a little at first, but we sorted that with some electrical tape around the thread, and it no longer leaks.

EDIT:Which water block is that? Looks like a Bykski. END EDIT

I like the clamping idea. Very creative solution. I don't think I'll be using electrical tape anytime soon to stop leaks though. LOL Out of curiosity, why not use teflon tape or pipe dope?

Last edited:
It's made by a company called 3YKSKI or something like that.
I literally only used what I had to hand. I reckon I'll get some PTFE tape on the weekend and sort the threads out properly.

I'd say it's ghetto alright but if it works it works I guess. As long as you have enough downward pressure on the block to make "good" contact it should be fine. I would just like to point out that the FX temps aren't really accurate below 45°c. Just curious what you are using to load the CPU ? Are you checking the core temp or CPU socket temp? Both are important and the socket temp would be important because of your choice of motherboard. The GA-78LMT isn't really suited for the 8 core FX.

Nice. I gave thought to buying this Chinese stuff. EBay doesn't have product reviews and the parts don't have model number's to look for reviews. So thanks! I'll keep it mind for later

Thanks, but I'll keep my expensive computer water cooled by US or European parts. The Chinese can build the motherboard and everything else.

+1 I hear that!

And who knows if its really copper or how long it will last. I can keep on going and going but for someone who has basically the lowest budget or wants to experiment with old PC components not caring if it leaks if it goes than by all means why not. ;)

I will give you the "ghetto" creativity points but as far as trusting a leakage on the components, I sure wouldn't and that tape will not hold up for long. You're walking on a tight rope with no safety net.

Reserator? Isn't that built from aluminum? Not sure what you're using for liquid, but if you aren't you should consider getting some anti-corrosive.

I think it is aluminium, yes.
What sort of liquid or additives should I be using? This is my first water cooling project, so I'm quite new to this world!

I don't know about the 1Plus, but some iterations of the Reserator were coated so that the fluid didn't directly contact the metal. Mine is black, for instance. If yours is the same and the coating is in good shape (mine failed during an algae bloom in storage), you should be ok. Barring that, products such as "Water Wetter" found at your auto parts store have similar anti-corrosive additives as anti-freeze, but without the glycol that you don't need and impedes heat transfer.

I've sorted the threads out with some PTFE tape now. It seems to be holding up quite well, by that I mean it hasn't leaked at all. I've over clocked the CPU to 4ghz, and im running load tests with prime 95. The temperature is creeping up a bit. It started at 8degrees, and its now 33degrees after about 25 minutes of 100% load. I'll try and iteratively push the clock to 4.5ghz. i'm ony using tap water now, but ive ordered some 'nuke' biocide, and i'm going to get some distilled water from the local auto-centre. is there anything else I need, or should i be all sorted now?

Thanks for all your comments and advice

i just tried to overclock to 4.3ghz, and i bluescreened! i'll stick at 4.1ghz @36degees full load.

all you really need is antifreeze called HOAT here in the us, it is gold in color, you only need a 25% mix of it.
I ghettoed one with a resivator v2 and a khuler 920 I'll try to find a pic. ghetto is so awesome.

and here it is, cooling a 965 on an asus m5a97 R2.0, the best all round rig I ever owned!!!!

Attachments

• PIC_0895.JPG
    PIC_0895.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 5,452
That looks quality. Do you still own that, or have you regretfully passed it on?
Will any OAT based anti-freeze do? Or does it need to have specific ingredients?

Not sure how fast you will corrode in a mixed metal loop and some tap water. You could take a look at this blue or green fluid from Swiftech. It is anti-corrosive and supplies the biocide as well.

Back