• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The mechanical keyboard, once more!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

So finally, 2 or 3 weeks after Corsair released the new K70 and K95 RGB, they are hitting shelves in Europe, in a week.

Currently, i have the K60 with MX red. Its not that i dont like them, i love the keyboard, but i do find myself thinking, its not right for me, i am missing the full arm/hand support, and i am having issues liking the MX red fully.

The choice will be MX Red, Brown and blue.

As i understand it, the blue is not for me, but i the Brown sounds, on videos, like its a bit less clicky, yet the mx reds are suppose to the be softer of the 2.

I would like some personal input.

I use MX Brown daily in my G710+. Love them, but it makes me hate all other keyboards.

If you're doing a decent mix of gaming and typing, get Brown.

Same for me. Browns in my work keyboard and my gaming keyboard at home. Reds gave me too many typing errors. Blues aren't conducive to gaming and are too loud for the office.

I do have a friend who recently picked up a KB with green switches. It could just be his, but I actually really liked it (not that it's one of your options).

Oh, and reds are "softer", but you'll likely still bottom out every keystroke with reds or Browns so the the sound will be basically the same.

Same for me. Browns in my work keyboard and my gaming keyboard at home. Reds gave me too many typing errors.

Very interesting comment, I honestly thought it was just me that had issues getting use to typing on the MX reds, but i do tend to make a lot of typing errors when using my MX reds, vs the Logitech membrane at work.

Very interesting comment, I honestly thought it was just me that had issues getting use to typing on the MX reds, but i do tend to make a lot of typing errors when using my MX reds, vs the Logitech membrane at work.

That's because the Red has no feedback other than "no press" or "full press", where as a Brown has the bump to let you know you've engaged/disengaged the switch.

Yeah, i remember getting to a point where brown was the answer, but i got red, because at the time, brown was not an option. It is now, and will be!

I've got browns too and enjoy the feel of the Das Keyboard. My only minor complaint is personal. I've broken both wrists and used an ergonomic KB for years which was beneficial to my endurance. I don't type as much as I used to apparently so don't often get stressed wrists but, well, too bad I don't want to afford an ergonomic mechanical KB. I really prefer this one to the membrane boards though.

I started out with a Trigger Cherry Red, got it because Reds is supposed to be THE gaming switch. After a couple of weeks with it, I found myself still making tons of typos, like the others had said, since it's a linear switch type, there no tactile feel to let you know you have activated the switch.

Those who like the Browns on their G710+ may not like actual Browns, I say that because the G710+ comes with o-rings installed to dampen the key press, so bottoming out would not result in any sound, or perhaps a softer sound since the o-rings dampens the impact. Brown, w/o o-rings, do emit a sound when bottomed out like all other mechanical switches, except there's no 'click' like the Blues, Greens and, to some degree, Whites.

I have gone through a good number of switch types, including Topre and buckling spring, and Topre 55G is my fave together with buckling spring. For Cherry MX, I find myself liking heavier/stiffer switch types like Clear, Greens, Whites and even Black. Black, though heavier than Blue, and linear like Red, is one of my fave because it's so responsive, and I don't make as many typos like I do with Reds.

As for you, if you're certain Blues aren't for you, your best bet would be Browns. The tactile bump on a Brown isn't as pronounced as that on Blues, and lacks the click of the Blue, so it might just suit you. BTW, I don't like Browns, I think it feels a tad mushy (poorly defined tactile bump) and it, like Blue, is simply too light for my taste.

A word on the K70, my friend just got his a few days ago, and while he likes the feeling of the keys, he's having a hard time adjusting to how closely the keys on the left side are to the edge of the board. He also said the light bleed on the RGB keys is a little obnoxious. Rather than just illuminating the key symbol, it backlights, a lot. He mentioned it can be a little disorienting when you aren't looking from the top down directly and he's probably going to return it.

Just some feedback he gave me, may not be an issue for most, as he is pretty anal-retentive.

Also, ATM turned me towards the G710 board, and I LOVE it. I find myself wishing it was louder (sans o-ring) but then remind myself that it's novelty that wears off after about 30 minutes of typing on it.

The K60 is as far as i can see the same size as the K70. So i doubt that will find any edge problems. I only care about one color on the K70 RGB, and that is white.

But it is something to think about. With that said, i am annoyed that the RGB is missing the USB port on it, I use that a lot.

So... you're getting a full size keyboard, want white backlight, use the rear USB port, and want Brown switches.

Remind me why the G710+ isn't being considered?

I'm assuming you don't like the orange, Pierre?

Well thats, one thing yes, but apart from that, White is what i want from the LEDS, but of of course i would use more than white..

That said, the K70 RGB is getting marks against itself. No USB in keyboard, and the ugly new logo. Style has left the building on that on.

Back