• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the differences between Sabertooth R2 and the earlier model?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only difference I see is the secondary SATA controller. The original has 4 JMicron SATAII and the R2.0 has 4 ASMedia PCIe SATAIII.

Original said:
AMD SB950 controller :
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
JMicron® JMB362 controller :
2 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
1 x Power eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), green
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red

R2.0 said:
AMD SB950 controller :
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red,

The best person for info would likely be ShrimpBrine, He has one and I know he wishes he would have had the R2.0, aside from that I don't know the particulars.

The best person for info would likely be ShrimpBrine, He has one and I know he wishes he would have had the R2.0, aside from that I don't know the particulars.

That is all I need to know. Going to pass on a original which there are tons of on fleabay and get an R2 when I go to the Brooklyn Microcenter Saturday.

I have had both, the first release saberkitty is very m5a97ish and better for the overclocker i think.
the r2.0 is more ch5ish, better for the gamer in us i think, get the R2.0 for 99% of people.
I think the power sections differed and the way the interfaced the ram differed.

I have a revision 1 board. I have no issue at all benching at 5.4 on my 8320.
Bios is the key. You need to use an older one for best results. I actually run a self modded older bios.
I personally see no difference between the two revisions for the average user.

FWIW, I have Shrimps old board. His issues were bios related. My bios cured that. He'll tell you the same.

Mr. Scott,

Would there be any way of making your modded bios available to other overclockers who have the later revisions of the Sabertooth? Problems with the later revisions of that board connected with the newer bioses has been lingering for months now. And how did you get your modded bios to install? Apparently many are running into roadblocks trying to install older bioses on Asus motherboards. I'm sure a step by step tutorial would be appreciated.

Mr. Scott,

Would there be any way of making your modded bios available to other overclockers who have the later revisions of the Sabertooth? Problems with the later revisions of that board connected with the newer bioses has been lingering for months now. And how did you get your modded bios to install? Apparently many are running into roadblocks trying to install older bioses on Asus motherboards. I'm sure a step by step tutorial would be appreciated.

Being that I bench this board competitively, my own bios is off the table. However, the 1102 bios is what it's based off of and for the average user/overclocker it will be fine. As for flashing, I had no issue using going from the most current bios (1604) to the 1102 or my own. This should not be a problem at all.
If somebody needs help with that, I have no problem helping, but honestly, it's pretty much a no brainer if you've ever flashed a bios before.
What I'm saying in a nutshell is, if you have a revision 1 board, you should be using the 1102 bios. It's the best one provided. I've tried them all.

Some have been saying the bios flashing tool would not let them flash an older bios version.

No magic here. I had no issue at all.

Mr. Scott, you do have to use AFUDOS engineering version though to flash backwards on the Rev 1.0 of the Sabertooth 990FX? Am I correct in that assumption? Just as an FYI. No that would be FTI. Hehehe.
RGone...

Mr. Scott, you do have to use AFUDOS engineering version though to flash backwards on the Rev 1.0 of the Sabertooth 990FX? Am I correct in that assumption? Just as an FYI. No that would be FTI. Hehehe.
RGone...

Honestly, I can't remember if I did or not. It probably wouldn't hurt though.

Only problem I had with a Rev 1.0 Sabo was a major cold bug. It's not going to run -75c without a bios mod. Other than that one issue, it's a great board.

Are there better boards than the Sabortooth? Most certainly. Price pending.

I am just basically looking for a better board than a Rev. 1.1 GA-990FXA-UD3 to pop a 8320 in for daily use. I have been looking on eBay for R2 boards. There are plenty of them but the prices are close to what I can buy a new R2 from Newegg for. There are lots of the original boards for sale but I don't know anything about them versus the R2. So any input would be appreciated. I want to get something but don't want to regret my purchase.

I am just basically looking for a better board than a Rev. 1.1 GA-990FXA-UD3 to pop a 8320 in for daily use. I have been looking on eBay for R2 boards. There are plenty of them but the prices are close to what I can buy a new R2 from Newegg for. There are lots of the original boards for sale but I don't know anything about them versus the R2. So any input would be appreciated. I want to get something but don't want to regret my purchase.

I don't consider the Sabo R/2 an upgrade from your current UD3. I'd think they are on the same tier when looking at options and layout.

An upgrade for serious overclocking would be Crosshair V by Asus or Giga UD7. My brother had a Crosshair IV and was just a solid overclocking board for serious overclocking. Perhaps AsRock Extreme 9 could be considered upper tier for overclockers, but would stick to Asus myself. The UD7 I did have a chance to play with was seriously damaged in the socket. I was able to successfully run 2 cpus in the board before it took a third out with itself completely. No RMA due to being a sample reviewer hand me down.

For now, moderate OC with 8320 95w, will be just fine running in your UD3. I think you'd regret your choice. It won't make the Cpu faster, lower temps will though. Spend some money on liquid cooling. That'll get you closer to 5ghz daily than buying a new board.

I ended up getting a first generation board on eBay. I didn't have much time except to make sure it wasn't DOA. It has bios 1604 iirc. What are the advantages of the 1102 bios? The build quality is impressive. No pushpins to be found lol!

Bios versions are actually user dependent and parts and pieces relevant...

...I find 12 bioses for my first run CHV which would be similar to the original Sabertooth 990FX in bios function. So you will see that I use a middle of all release bios since it should be late enough bios to allow use of FX type processor and I often use one with some Usb compatibiltiy enhancement in it for a few of my Usb devices. Anyway I describe and you can see that I use late enough bios for cpu in use but remain far away from latest bios sicne for me the earlier bioses seem to be more like WYSIWYG when inputting to bios. Heck try all your bios versions except real early ones are not for FX processors.
RGone...ster.

Code:
BIOS (12)

Version 1703
Description 	Crosshair V Formula BIOS 1703
1.Improve system stability.
2.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
File Size 	2.43 MBytesupdate 2012/10/24
Download from 	Global

Version 1605
Description 	Crosshair V Formula BIOS 1605
2.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.
File Size 	2.42 MBytesupdate 2012/10/11
Download from 	Global

Version 1503
Description 	Crosshair V Formula BIOS 1503
File Size 	2.41 MBytesupdate 2012/07/20
Download from 	Global

Version 1402
Description 	Crosshair V Formula BIOS 1402
Improve system stability.
File Size 	2.41 MBytesupdate 2012/05/25
Download from 	Global

Version 1301 [size=3][color=red]This is bios I use most of the time since it is first to enhance Usb which Asus had some issue with. [/size][/color]
Description 	CrosshairV-Formula BIOS 1301
File Size 	2.4 MBytesupdate 2012/03/28
Download from 	Global

Version 1102
Description 	Crosshair V-Formula BIOS 1102
File Size 	2.4 MBytesupdate 2012/01/11
Download from 	Global

Version 1003 [color=red][size=3]This was and probably still is my most favorite bios for overclocking my FX 8 core processors to date. What you enter in the bios and the expected result just seems more/most accurate to me and why I never have run the later bioses after hearing from others whom have. It is not an etched in stone type of do or not do, but I and others just find the earlier bioses easier to adjust, I guess is how it is most easily described.[/color][/size]
Description 	CrosshairV-Formula BIOS 1003
"1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability"
File Size 	2.4 MBytesupdate 2011/12/09
Download from 	Global

Version 0903
Description 	Crosshair V Formula 0903 BIOS
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability
3. Update CPU Level up function
File Size 	2.4 MBytesupdate 2011/11/07
Download from 	Global

Version 0813 [color=red][size=3]This is first bios for FX Bulldozer Cpu.[/color][/size]
Description 	Crosshair V Formula 0813 BIOS
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
File Size 	2.4 MBytesupdate 2011/10/07
Download from 	Global

Version 0705
Description 	Crosshair V Formula 0705 BIOS
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability
3. Fix USB 7/8 not work issue
4. Fix system may hang when use with Adaptec ASR-5805 Raid card
5. Add Spanish and Russian to BIOS steup.
6. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
File Size 	2.39 MBytesupdate 2011/09/07
Download from 	Global

Version 0506
Description 	Crosshair V Formula 0506 BIOS
File Size 	2.14 MBytesupdate 2011/07/02
Download from 	Global

Version 0404
Description 	Crosshair V Formula 0404 BIOS
First release Bios.
File Size 	2.14 MBytesupdate 2011/06/07

Thank you RGone. I also bought a Crossblade Ranger which has taken up most of my time. The amount of settings in the bios is staggering. The only other EUFI bios board I had before was an ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6. I know it isn't an enthusiasts board but its bios is barebones compared to the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX and the Crossblade Ranger bios.

Being that I bench this board competitively, my own bios is off the table. However, the 1102 bios is what it's based off of and for the average user/overclocker it will be fine. As for flashing, I had no issue using going from the most current bios (1604) to the 1102 or my own. This should not be a problem at all.
If somebody needs help with that, I have no problem helping, but honestly, it's pretty much a no brainer if you've ever flashed a bios before.
What I'm saying in a nutshell is, if you have a revision 1 board, you should be using the 1102 bios. It's the best one provided. I've tried them all.

is there any reason to revert back to 1102 for the avg overclocker? I went from the latest version back to 1102 just to see if I could back flash, the only issue I had was while unzipping the bios file using the windows 7 zip utility I would get an error about the file not being uefi compatible but unzipping it with winrar allowed be to flash the older version.

Back