• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I access my secondary HDD's faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toastslave

Registered
So I have 1 SSD in my PC with my operating system then 2 HDD's with data programs etc. Everytime I go to access things on the HDDS after awhile of not using them or after booting up my PC everything will freeze for a second... then I will hear the HDDs starting to spin up inside my tower, then after 20 seconds or so everything is fine. Just wondering if there is anyway I can make it so this never happens, maybe there is a setting that sets those HDDs to always be turned on? Thanks

Control panel/power options
look for setting called "turn off hard drive after" - set to never.

+1 to what ATM and LV said.

Now if that fails to work, (like in the case of my Samsung HDD) a simple .bat to copy, move and rename a file every 7 seconds will be enough to keep the drive active and prevent spin downs.

+1 to what ATM and LV said.

Now if that fails to work, (like in the case of my Samsung HDD) a simple .bat to copy, move and rename a file every 7 seconds will be enough to keep the drive active and prevent spin downs.

Wouldn't that idea result in a lot of wear to the sectors where the file is located over time?

Sometimes the power setting in a drives firmware is the issue when power options fails. With careful research and altering the bin file you can alter eco options. though with firmware you can brick the device if your not well versed prior to tampering :D

What make and model are they?

Wouldn't that idea result in a lot of wear to the sectors where the file is located over time?
I suppose yes, but the error rate for non ECC errors is like 1 in 10^8 bytes written so a bad sector itself is unlikely.
But that does still leave the question about the sector itself.

TBH, I would think that the chance is incredibly small that it will go bad.

Sometimes the power setting in a drives firmware is the issue when power options fails. With careful research and altering the bin file you can alter eco options. though with firmware you can brick the device if your not well versed prior to tampering :D

What make and model are they?

^^ True, it's what my issue is now, and it sounds like the OP has the same issue as me :-/

Back