• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FINALLY got intel. 4690k. Having trouble with performance and windows scores..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

My ram and HDD scores were higher when I had my PHENOM 840 3.2 quad hooked up... Now this is what im running and im getting a TERRIBLE score. Can anyone please help.. I dont HAVE to format, do I? Please I need all the tips in the world so i can rest easy.. PS. I do plan on upgrading my motherboard and memory... What should I get. I shop at Www.microcenter.com.. Unless Newegg has a way better price, but they usually match it.. What would be my best bet in motherboard and memory also.. But right now, fixing this problem is number one on my list. I have over 150 more frames in CSGO.. Like i said I would, over my AMDS ive used over the past year. AMD is junk compared to this.. RAM.jpg

Looks like you got a 4690, not a 4690K.

Who cares what Windows scores are? They're grossly inaccurate. Get some real benchmarks to test with.
For memory look at MaxxMem, for HDDs look at Crystal Disk Mark.

Let's get a full list of the PC parts before tossing recommendations on motherboard/RAM.

800mhz cl11 ram? That should be around cl9 for starters...

Aids64 or maxmemm for ram. If you have an SSD, use atto for its speeds.

no, its a 4690k. i dont even think they make it without the k.. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

still, i was getting a way higher score with my old am3 motherboard. something cant be right.. maybe its this entry level motherboard i have or something. i have to go to court. will be active on here when i get back

I've noticed that windows memory performance base on memory copy score which can be checked using " winsat -mem " command in the command prompt. Memory copy depends from couple of things but as it was already mentioned , Windows score means nothing and is not even accurate.

Are you using the exact same hard drive? Did you reinstall Windows? When switching motherboards or going AMD to Intel, I would recommend doing a clean install of Windows so all of the appropriate drivers are installed. You can end up with some oddball issues if you don't do a clean install.

The H81 is Intel's budget chipset. If you upgrade to a motherboard that uses the Z97 chipset, maybe your Windows scores will improve slightly. It probably won't make any noticeable difference to gaming performance but if you want to spend some money, go for it.

The CPU-Z Specification box confirms that your CPU is a 4690K with an unlocked multiplier. You can try upgrading CPU-Z to version 1.70. If your motherboard does not support overclocking, CPU-Z might assume that you are using a locked 4690 CPU so it is showing that in the Name box. The information in the Specifications box is the information that is written directly to the CPU by Intel so you can trust the model number that is shown in that box.

If you want better performance, start overclocking your CPU if your motherboard supports that feature.

ram333.jpg I just proved that they DO mean something and i am getting better performance.. I was only getting 3.90 out of my 4gb in D channel. I installed and then disabled the onboard graphics card and now it upped my processor and memory score to 7.7 each. I changed the couple timings on my ram from 11 to 9. is that gonna be okay?

I just proved that they DO mean something and i am getting better performance.. I was only getting 3.90 out of my 4gb in D channel.
Huh????????

I don't know if it will be ok... test it and find out...

just asking because someone said WHY is your ram like that... like it shouldnt be set at 11, and changed to 9. but it seems fine. havent games.

Oye....

1. I personally didn't ask why. I just mentioned that those timings, which is correct for the sticks you bought, but they are very high for the speed. It should be around CL9 for the first value (typically 9-9-9-24).
2. Haven't games... I meant use Prime95 blend or Memtest86 to test your memory. Gaming would be last on the list. ;)

You have been here for over 10 years friend, you should know how to stress test your system!! :)

I do... i just completely new to intel, and not fam with ram overclocking at all.. but ive noticed with small overclocks, there usually isnt tested needed..

Sorry im exhausted.... up all night, cant type for ****.

You use the same tools with AMD that you do with intel. ;)

But with ram that is a completely different story. Changing timings is a big change for all intents and purposes and should be tested with a stressing application at first. You can try gaming on it, but if there is a problem, it will show up a lot quicker using those applications than by gaming.

My ram and HDD scores were higher when I had my PHENOM 840 3.2 quad hooked up... Now this is what im running and im getting a TERRIBLE score. Can anyone please help.. I dont HAVE to format, do I? Please I need all the tips in the world so i can rest easy.. PS. I do plan on upgrading my motherboard and memory... What should I get. I shop at Www.microcenter.com.. Unless Newegg has a way better price, but they usually match it.. What would be my best bet in motherboard and memory also.. But right now, fixing this problem is number one on my list. I have over 150 more frames in CSGO.. Like i said I would, over my AMDS ive used over the past year. AMD is junk compared to this..View attachment 154284

I would, I would format and reinstall for moving from ATI to Nvidia ALONE or vice versa. But I disagree with the mods. I JUST yesterday was debugging a lappy and noticed no video driver. windows score went up 30% and scrolling webpages got much better also. No they are not the end all be all.

I would, I would format and reinstall for moving from ATI to Nvidia ALONE or vice versa.
I wouldn't unless things were wonky and in my experience, 9/10 it wasn't wonky. Also, ATI was absorbed into AMD a couple years back. ATI is no longer.

I JUST yesterday was debugging a lappy and noticed no video driver. windows score went up 30% and scrolling webpages got much better also.
This makes complete sense. You always install a driver you are going to use. I understood this as having a discrete card... or that the driver, regardless of what it was, would be installed (you know, the basics).

It makes no sense to me why installing a GPU driver would make the ram score go up... another reason not to rely on WEI.

But I disagree with the mods.
What mods did he make?

i said my ram was only getting 3.9 of the 4gb.. because that other ram was going to the ONBOARD video that isnt being used.. so i had to install the drivers in order to disable it. and when i did, my performance went up big time.

mods = moderators or mutterator, whatever.

At the end of the day a fresh install will save countless weird stuff from happening. Also one more thing about the WEI. I have noticed, windows itself doesn't like not having a current score. Yes I know ATI was absorbed but saying AMD vs Nvidia sounds confusing when talking about a whole system.

Its a free country everyone gets to do what they want, with their own stuff. But a fresh OS install never hurt anything. I admit its been a while for me, but with only graphics upgrades from the same vendor its fine. Nothing wrong with having a maxed out WEI though. Certainly not a sign of trouble is it.

Attachments

• WEI.JPG
    WEI.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 170
Back