• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WARNING: Do not update Ccleaner from v4.17

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
New buggy feature introduced - Think carefully before updating from version 4.17 to higher builds

Ccleaner is one of the most useful programs and one of the best in its class. Just released v4.18 introduces a very buggy mandatory Monitoring feature.

It is ON by default, not as a feature which can be turned ON optionally. It is difficult to impossible to disable on some systems. Most annoyingly, it stays in the Task Bar even if you launch CCleaner with a shortcut which has an /AUTO string at the end, which should terminate the program after it executes its main cleaning function, but it doesn't - even after you adjust options... The fact that a buggy version has been out for a few days now without being pulled is a warning that it might be time to simply stop upgrading, unless you specifically need one of the other non-buggy new features, which most of us do not. There are now multiple lengthy threads on this problematic new feature with people option to pull back to v4.17 and stay there.

CCleaner is good for quickly cleaning cookies / web browsing history, a lot of us don't use it to "clean" the registry since we've established that registry cleaners in 21st century are what snake oil was in the 19th century.

But to quickly clean your browser cookies/history, CCleaner is great:
Copy the program shortcut to another location > Right click on the program shortcut > Properties > Next to Target:
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO
> OK
to create a new shortcut that would start the program, clean all, then close the program.

I also make sure these settings are set like this:
Cleaner > Windows TAB > System > UNCHECK: Start Menu Shortcuts and Desktop Shortcuts
Cleaner > Applications TAB > UNCHECK: Office [or its settings will be reset]

Options > Advanced > UNCHECK: Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours

[The only difference between Standard and Slim versions of CCleaner is that Slim version does not include the Google Chrome web browser setup.]

Good to know!! THanks!

I don't use it, I just flush directly from my browser... that way I don't have to have an additional software layer to do it. You strike me as an incredibly efficient person, I am surprised you have that additional step/software layer in there. What does it do that browsers cannot already that necessitates your use of it?

cookies.jpg

The program clears ALL browsers with a single click on a modified shortcut with an /AUTO string at the end.
Obviously saving you from opening multiple browsers and programs and multiple settings to clean them.
All caches, all history is reset. It resets other Windows history settings and temp files too, recently opened programs lists etc. All this is modifiable in Ccleaner options of course.
Non-browser programs are "cleaned" as well. Very useful when diagnosing problems.

Ahh, makes sense.

I only use one browser 99% of the time (Chrome) so I just use its built in functionality whenever I need to do that (extremely rare as well).

Thanks again!

Good to know, I just got the nag screen to update fter reading this. thanks.

I found this on another forum. It looks like turning system monitoring completely off is a two step process, but can be done.
There is a bug in this update of CCleaner. When I go to "Monitoring" to turn off "System Monitoring", and I open CCleaner to do more cleaning the CCleaner icon stays in the system tray after use and will not go away. CCleaner also reports that it is monitoring the system even after I turn system monitoring off. Furthermore, I have to go into advance settings and uncheck "Enable Active Monitoring" to completely turn off system monitoring. It's a two step process, when it should only be a one step process.

The fix works on some but not all systems.
They just released a new version which also does not work on all systems regardless of those settings.

I can replicate the bug, even on the just released new build. Not sure why anyone would want 'Active System Monitoring' ON.... Version 4.18 repeatedly gets intercepted on my system trying to insert itself into the startup menu :screwy: even with all those settings OFF.

The entire point of the program is to free up resources... (!!) Not sure what they're doing or thinking over there with this fiasco.
This is why I never let any program auto-update.

I think we're good up to 4.17: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/version-history
I have the slim freeware version attached below.

My favorite quote from their own forums is this one I just read (I added the emphasis):

Indyrod, on 26 Sept 2014 - 5:36 PM, said:

Thanks... but until a final released version is fully tested and ready for the public, I don't feel convinced everything is as it should be. As a former programmer myself, I know how these things go sometimes. I don't feel like the Monitor option is fully tested to work as intended, and I still don't know what it is supposed to do. I don't like enabling new features, when I have no idea what it does, and why I would want it.

Attachments

• CCleaner417.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 116
I see CCleaner 5.00.5050 out....

Has the Active System Monitoring been addressed, or do we stick with v4.17??

Hey 'Cuda340

Thanks for alerting. I just test updated to 5.

So first of all here's the list of What's New:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/version-history

I don't see anything on that list worth upgrading for.
What I do see is:
1. My computer intercepting version 5 trying to register itself to run at Windows start up. Why the heck is a program designed to clean cache etc. on demand inserting itself to run at startup BY DEFAULT? What business does a program designed to improve performance have doing running at startup by default, regardless of how little resources it uses?
2. Version 5 is informing me that now it is is PERMANENTLY running BY DEFAULT (!) Doing what!? MONITORING my computer... is what it says it's doing.

I don't want it doing that. No thanks.

I am staying with 4.17. I'm pretty sure it will run just fine even on Windows 10 and will not buy into the hype that "Windows 10 compatibility has been improved" or future Firefox compatibility "has been improved," unless it stops doing what its primary purpose is for me, which is to clear cache, various usage histories with one click across multiple programs...

EDIT: Also the new GUI is not a hit with people. The authors join the growing group of companies who make major changes to GUI *without* giving users the option, just the option, to have a choice of which GUI they prefer to use... People would not complain about Windows 8 Metro if Microsoft included Classic Shell as an option and nobody would ever complain about CCleaner's new GUI if they only included the option for users to choose what they'd like to use... instead of removing one completely and forcing another...

Version 4.17 appears to install cleanly over version 5 if you don't like version 5:

Attachments

• CCleaner 4.17.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Sooo I'll stick with V4.13 then :)

Damn, why did they do this?
Ccleaner is pro and just straight up awesome, this kills it for me :(

I was using v4.19 right mouse and exit on the taskbar icon closed it fine for me.

now I`m using v5.00

1.jpg
select close program after cleaning.

2.jpg
deselect system monitoring and active monitoring.

and its back to how we likeses it :)

active monitoring checks for updates.

system monitoring tells you automatically when x amount of mb can be saved by a good ole clean.

they just want some money... pro version and pro plus (which sounds like it must clean out your bowels or something :rofl: )

at least it doesn't try to install a new browser or toolbar yet :D

oh, I think wipe free space is set to go by default too... some optional secure erase features and stuff. :-/
me thinks their confused about what the product is now. clean, shred, turn all ones to zero :screwy: mentalist program. lol

Since I deactivated it from 4.17 before I updated to 5.0 it has saved my settings but I recommend deactivating it because it runs in the background and caused nothing but issues on my PC plus I find it useless anyway, only issues with 5.0 is it's very white and makes it bright on my screen

Since I deactivated it from 4.17 before I updated to 5.0 it has saved my settings but I recommend deactivating it because it runs in the background and caused nothing but issues on my PC plus I find it useless anyway, only issues with 5.0 is it's very white and makes it bright on my screen

Yeah, I find that it just runs all the time in the background bogging my machine down, almost as bad as Norton constantly scanning my machine every time I leave it alone for 5 minutes. What do you recommend instead of CCleaner?

Just disable the active monitoring in ccleaner? It takes 10 seconds in the options.

Back