• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to properly reformat..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You don't need to format just to change the video card. Uninstall the drivers for your current video card, shut the system down, install the new card, boot to windows and install the new drivers.

Photos and videos can just be backed up to a different hdd, or usb device of some sort. Games will have to be reinstalled. If your in progress of working through a game and don't want to lose your progress, most of them have a file you can back up and use once the game is reinstalled. You'd have to research what each file is called for each game and how to go about restoring your progress. Every game is a little different.

dang dont want to buy another HDD, was hoping for a suggestion to a nice alternative good flash drive? or icloud? jk :) but ill find out .ty man

Just run over to walmart or somewhere and grab a cheap USB external HDD. I've seen 500 GB jobbers for like $50 sometimes.

Just run over to walmart or somewhere and grab a cheap USB external HDD. I've seen 500 GB jobbers for like $50 sometimes.

^
This.
Its handy to have a large external HDD. You can hook it up to your TV to watch movies or take it to a friends place and watch your content there. Great for backing important things up.

If, on the other hand, you just don't have that much stuff, you can get a very affordable 64GB USB flash drive. Itll hold a reasonable amount of photos videos game saves etc.

You could go with a service like drop box as well and upload your 50ish GB of stuff there but on the average upload of 1mbps, that's going to take a looooooooooooooooooooooong time.
Sadly, this amount of storage, whether you get it virtually or physically, is going to cost you a couple of dollars.

If your existing hard drive has free space, you can create a new partition, and install another copy of Windows there. Boot into your new Windows, copy over your existing data to your new partition, and then format the old partition.

^
This.
Its handy to have a large external HDD. You can hook it up to your TV to watch movies or take it to a friends place and watch your content there. Great for backing important things up.

If, on the other hand, you just don't have that much stuff, you can get a very affordable 64GB USB flash drive. Itll hold a reasonable amount of photos videos game saves etc.

You could go with a service like drop box as well and upload your 50ish GB of stuff there but on the average upload of 1mbps, that's going to take a looooooooooooooooooooooong time.
Sadly, this amount of storage, whether you get it virtually or physically, is going to cost you a couple of dollars.

DO you guys have anything you can suggest that is reliable? also when i reformat is it going to need me to reinstall my disks for my mobo? i havent reformat before.

- - - Updated - - -

Cuz i lost my motherboard disk and other items were lost, but i have my windows disk still.

You can go the manufacturers web site and get the drivers you need.

Wouldn't the mobo drivers need to be installed to get on the Internet ?

Possibly yes, probably no. Just in case, use a computer you know to be virus and malware free and download the motherboard drivers and software (might as well grab GPU, sound card, wifi card, etc drivers for your other hardware) and put them on a USB stick. The very same USB stick you'll need to back up your photos/videos/etc. Keep in mind though that if any of those files were illegally obtained they may well have malware that is the reason your computer is slow now. Moving them to the new system will only reinstall the problems.

Wouldn't the mobo drivers need to be installed to get on the Internet ?
The network card drivers would.

Do it now from where you are typing at, or another PC and put it on a USB stick. Then install the drivers there. Just grab the chipset, nic, any usb drivers, and audio and that should set you straight.

Back