• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4770k overclocking (another noob here)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MajorTemples

Registered
Hello,

A few weeks ago I posted a topic that I was going to build a new PC for around $800,-. While I was searching for a 2nd hand R9 280x I came across a pretty good 2nd hand PC for $700,- and decided to buy it.
Specs: i7 4770K, Scythe Mugen PCGH 4, Asus VI Hero, MSI GTX 770, Seasonic S2II 620W Bronze, Crucial Ballistix 2x 4GB 1866 CL9, Samsung 840 evo 250GB SSD, Fractal Design Define R4. And I salvaged two HDDs from my old pc.

I started overclocking my 4770k this morning after reading the guide http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell and I watched Linus' video about him overclocking his i7 4770k (hope this isn't seen as advertising). I put the core voltage at 1,2V and started with a multiplier of 46, had to dial it down to 42 to to get it stable. I then added 0,025V (so 1,225V in total) and got it stable at 43. Temps never exceeded 76 degrees celcius, stress tested it with AIDA64 and measured temps with AIDA64 and RealTempGT. Then enabled XMP profile so my RAM runs at 1866MHz CL9, stress tested again and it passed.

The questions I have:
Should I add another 0,025V and try to get it at 4,4GHz, temps will certainly exceed 80 degrees on full load then. I'm running Solidworks simulation calculations or Solidworks renderings every once in a while and I don't feel like running my CPU at 80 degrees for hours on end does it any good. (I play bf3 and bf4 too but they don't really heat up my CPU as much).
Should I put the core voltage on adaptive? From what I've heard so far the only programs that will ask for more core voltage then they need at at certain speed are synthetic benchmarks like AIDA64 and Prime95. Does that mean I can put it on adaptive and not worry when I run solidworks renderings or calculations?

EDIT: So my PC decided to crash on me at 4,4GHz while I was browsing in chrome a bit. It did pass AIDA64 for half an hour, I know that that isn't too long. Could this have to do something with the RAM?

Hopefully I've given all the information you need to help me, if not please tell me so I can feed you with more delicious information!

Last edited:
most scale with about .04 to .05v per 100mhz. And difference between aida64 stable and prime 28.5 stable is about .08v. I can pass aida64 at 30 minutes with very unstable settings.

If you are stable at 43 multi and you need 1.225v for 43, then you will like need 1.265 to 1.275 for 44.

It doesnt matter whether you use adaptive or fixed, the vcore will increase with prime 28.5 ~.02v either way running prime 28.5 with avx/fma3 versus a lesser loading program like AIDa64. You can use either.

How high you want to go and at what temp is up to you. But once you have locked in one setting and know you need that much vcore, you need to add about .04 to .05v per 100mhz. And AIDA64 isnt going to test stability that will allow 24/7 use without bsods as you found out, unless you happen to be using about .08v more than you need to run AIDA64 stable.

Back