• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalkingWater

Hey guys,

After having upgraded to a new build and the Corsair Carbide Air 540, I've decided that it's time to get a custom water loop again. Many years ago I bought a DIY kit, which worked well and was cheap. At some point though it leaked over the CPU block, resulting in a fried graphics card.

In the following years I've used AIO solutions for watecooling my CPU, but having the full-size windows of the Air 540 and some neat cabling, I decided I want a full solution again, this time also including GPU cooling.

So right now I'm still beginning to gather component ideas and figuring out what to get. I'm going for a very low-noise build, as I don't expect to be doing much overclocking.
I've found that it's considerably more expensive to get watercooling now, as the kit I bought back then cost me about $150. I've accounted for that, and mybudget this time around is about $1000.

First on my list is the CPU block. I've found some nice ones, but in my searching I also stumbled on two AIO solutions, and I am wondering if you guys know of any blocks similar, but where it's just the block intended for a custom loop. The two in particular is the new DeepCool Captain or the Raijintek Triton.

Do any of you know of any similar blocks?

Sincerely,
Talking Waterfall

Alternatively, do any of you know if it's possible to simply disconnect the tubes it sip with and include the parts in my own loop?
And if so, what size would the fittings be?

There are plenty of CPU block options out there for a custom loop, but I'm not sure of exactly what you're looking for from reading your post.

Are you looking for a CPU block with built-in pump? The Swiftech Apogee Drive 2 might suit your needs if so.

Well, as mentioned my priorities here is on the looks. While a pump integrated would be great, I'm mostly looking for one with an acrylic reservoir built on top or just something that stands out, like the DeepCool Captain.

Those AIO coolers look like some prototypes of some sort. Haven't seen anything like that yet. There are though, AIO coolers for CPU only loops and GPU loops with a designated bracket if you'd like to go that route.

If you choose to go the custom water cooling route, as $1000 budget is more than enough for do all that in your case. I'd go with a 120.3 rad up front and 120.2 up top with a pump fed by a tube reservoir in your 540. Measurements are required to get the right radiator as some rads will not fit with a full size GPU installed.

There should be some build logs in this forum that involves the 540 case. I'd search for them and take a look at those to give you a general idea on how you want to go along with this.

The two products I mentioned are both commercially available and NOT prototypes. I know that with my budget, it is way possible for me to get a custom loop, and I already have a shopping list for it. But I wanna do something extra for the look and really like the small reservoir on top of the Raijintek Triton and the general look of the DeepCool Captain, so I were simply wondering if any of you knew of a similar looking CPU block, or if it's possible to detach the block from the AIO and just use it as part of my custom loop.

Yes it's possible to remove the pump/block from an AIO and convert it into your loop. However it's more trouble than it's worth and you will void the warranty of the AIO unless you purchase a used one to hack up.

And no, there are none with the acrylic res ontop AIO's that I know of aside from the ones you mentioned that will work for your particular needs/mods. Your best bet will be just to purchase the one you want, and hack/mod it (void said warranty) to your liking.

Depending on the AIO, most of their pumps are weak and you do not want to use that in a custom loop.

I have a custom loop in my air 540 with a 2.120 up top and 3.120 in the front. I put my fans in front of the baffle and the rad inside which allows for even a 295x2 to fit. So long as you set it up that way, there are no concerns for the length of the video card. If you have both the fans and rad inside that baffle, you will need to pay attention, but it will fit most cards (fits gtx 780 ti HOF).

Alright, thanks. I'll take all this into consideration when I close on the final shopping list.
As I said, I already looked around some, and made a list. I'd love if you guys could give your input with suggestions and things to take note of. Mind that the main purpose of this build will be looks and low noise level.
Screenshots:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png

Reading around the forums, I get a feeling that using dyed water might be a horrible idea. So I'm thinking of just using transparent yellow tubing instead of the clear tubing that I had originally planned to use with Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow.
The radiator is supposed to be 240 instead of 280. I also read something about that if I wish to use a low RPM fan for minimum noise, I need to go for less fins in the radiotor? Is this of concern to me, and do you have any good suggestions? The radiator part is really where I'm at a loss, they all seem pretty similar to me.

Last edited:
Now, with a double thick rad like you selected, it has to go up top. You also have to consider heatsink height coming the motherboard as well. There is literally 2mm from top of the mono heatsink to that same rad...

Yeah, as I said, choosing radiator is my biggest issue, and after browsing a bit, I did notice that the radiator seemed too thick. It'll be swapped out, most definitely.

As far as I can see, the two possibilities I have at my retailer is the EK CoolStream and the HW-Labs Black Ice. They're both available in 240 and 360 configs, so should be possible to throw in my Air 540. Any word on the quality of these products?

Depending on the AIO, most of their pumps are weak and you do not want to use that in a custom loop.

I concur. Especially given the OP's choice of loop & rad, noway will the pump from an AIO will perform as good as a separate pump. Only AIO pump I see that would handle a loop like that would be from the Swiftech H220X.

Well, as you can see in the screenshots, I did have a separate pump in mind, the Laing DDC-1T. So it's not my intention to run with a pump from an AIO setup, I just thought the CPU block in the AIO setups I've seen looked much better than those I've been able to find for custom loops.

Take a look at the MCP 35x for pump and get rid of the after market top if you choose to go with the 35x.

Also, take a look at the Alphacool ST30 240 and 360 rads. They are thinner and popular when used with a Corsair 540.

For CPU blocks, the XSPC Raystorm or the Swiftech XL are great performers at a better price than the Kryos.

For the reservoir, it depends if you're going to have the case stand up tall or sit down flat. If you have it sit down flat than that reservoir will work but having it straight up tall might not be the best choice. Look for a tube reservoir or a reservoir + pump combo and have it sit on the other PSU side of the case.

For fans, I'd take a look at the Noiseblockers B12 PWMs.

Tubing and fittings look good. Just don't forget your silver kill coil and distilled water from a local shop or what not.

Back