• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Chipset Update/Won't Boot To Wins 8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeletoil

Installed Asus Rampage IV Gene MOBO in Dell Alienware R4 Case. Coupla problems. CPU Fan was hooked up on side of case that said CPU Fan. Ran Turbo Mode constantly. Moved it to system fan connector on same side board. It worked. Normal fan speed now and revs when needed. Also the power button did not work. Found a fix for it, (do it later, Lengthen wires to hookup to MOBO rather than Dells Mini I/O Board. Already had a SATA HD with Windows 8.1 on it. Got the computer fired up and all was working well. Programs, Video and Sound working. Got on the net and updated Nortons Antivirus. No Problem. Got a message on puter that said I needed to update my chipset drivers. using the Asus disk for Windows 8.1 I updated and rebooted and now windows does not work. I don't have a rescue disk.
This is my first MOBO job. Bios allows me many options and they lead me to some repair options. Nothings seems to work. I'm 58 and got bit by the builders bug. I really like this stuff. Please help.

Sounds like you clicked on a malicious ad telling you to update drivers.

Sounds like Windows got corrupted by a fake driver updater. :mad:

But he installed the drivers from the disk...;)

How far is it getting through the boot order? What error are you seeing?

The computer gets to PC Repair and PC Diagnostics. No Beeps. Gives me some options like start Windows 8.1. One that let's me refresh my PC without losing files. One that wants to wipe out windows. Another option start from CD/DVD. Useless without a Restore disc. Then it allows me to use System Repair. Didn't work. I did create a restore point. guess I will have to get one.

Back