• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air temperature increase through radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dieter01

Registered
I read this article on Martins Liquidlab (review of the Alphacool NexXxos UT60). The picture below is from the tests he did:

UT60 testchart.JPG

The air temperature going out was nearly identical to the water temperature for all RPM's. That indicates that the radiator is quite capable, and that having a thicker radioator (like the 80mm Alphacool Monsta) has marginal value, unless you are going with extremely high airflow. So based on that I am now content with the UT60, but I will try to increase my airflow as much as possible within my tolerance level for noise. Agree? I have room for a larger radiator if neede but I just can't see that I will be better off...

Second question... I have read a few build logs. Some of the Caselabs builds, epecially the double wide like TH10A, have radiators both on bottom and top on both sides. The fan orientation is intake bottom, exhaust top. This is also done by some youtube builders like SingularityComputers. Looking back at the table above, how can that be right? If the air going through the bottom radiator is already at the same temperature as the water in the loop, it should have zero effect passing through the top radiator. What am I not understanding?

Did the builds you're referencing have other intake fans as well? If so, the mixing of fresh and radiator exhaust air inside the case would increase the effect of the top rad breathing "hot" air.

No matter how you shake it though, you're right, that's not an ideal sort of arrangement. You want the entire rad area to be breathing the same temperature air whenever possible.

Well, it all depends on the air flow. Really, depending how much heat is being dispersed internally, I would have all rads intake fresh air and have the rear or unfiltered/unradiated area of the case as exhaust, whether its bottom or top. It also depends on the Caselabs case as some bottom and top compartments can be closed off that can create a positive pressure environment and have the non resisted area of the compartment naturally exit its exhausted air flow.

Yeah, thats how I am thinking of setting it up now. Quad 120.3 rads (3 in push / pull, one pull only) on intake. Then in addition 5 front and 1 rear fan as exhaust. In addition the PSU sidedoor is ventilated and should function as a passive exit.

That's ... a lot of raddage and a lot of fans. 12x120 is pretty serious overkill.

I like it.

Yeah, thats how I am thinking of setting it up now. Quad 120.3 rads (3 in push / pull, one pull only) on intake. Then in addition 5 front and 1 rear fan as exhaust. In addition the PSU sidedoor is ventilated and should function as a passive exit.

:salute:

Back