• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble keeping my i5-3570k stable with EIST and C1E...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ringo88

Hi guys,

I came here to get some advice on overclocking my i5-3570k. I am able to keep it stable in Prime for over 20 hours with EIST, C1E, and C-States turned off @4.2Ghz. Whenever I enable EIST, C1E, Enhanced Turbo (I have a MSI Z77A-G43), I always get errors around the 12-15 hours mark. I know my Mobo is pretty limited, but it is able to keep it stable without the power saving features on for over 20 hours in Prime, with no errors.

It's really frustrating because I'd like to use the power saving features, but I want my OC to be completely stable. When I have them off and am stable @4.2, I have Vcore set to auto. My Mobo is limited in changing Vcore, only able to add +.04, +.06, +.08, +.10, +.12, +.14, +.16. Getting stable at 4.2 is no problem at auto Vcore, hovering around 1.18.

As soon as I enable these power saving features, though, I run into problems on Prime, like I said earlier, around hours 12-16. Am I doomed with having to have my OC run full all the time? Not too big of a deal, I'm going to upgrade in a year or so anyways. But I could use any and all tips you guys could provide.

Thanks!

That's actually not uncommon. A lot of people suggest keeping those options disabled for better overclocking, and now you know why. But, given that you 12+ hours stable leaving them enabled, just leave it that way and see if you experience any real world problems. Chances are you won't have any problems while using the system as you normally do.

Thanks a lot guys! I had heard a lot of people saying that as well, but I thought surely it wouldn't make it unstable at only 4.2. Seeing as how the highest my vcore gets is 1.16-1.18, would I be fine in just leaving the multi to 42 and keeping the turbo disabled for a 24/7 OC? Do you think I could hit 4.3 on auto voltage ? Guess its worth a try! Any more input is greatly appreciated!

never, ever use auto voltage. You should always enter your CPU voltage manually. If possible, use direct voltage settings, not offset, as offset can be confusing (ie, 1.25V rather than "+0.05V")

never, ever use auto voltage. You should always enter your CPU voltage manually. If possible, use direct voltage settings, not offset, as offset can be confusing (ie, 1.25V rather than "+0.05V")

Hey Man, thanks for the fast reply!

Well, the problem is, my Motherboard (MSI Z77A-G43) is very limited in what it can do. I cannot set the voltage manually, only offset, in increments of +.02, +.04, +.06, +.08, +.10, +.12, +.14, +.16.

I know, it's really not a great Motherboard, and I learned my lesson this time around on skimping out on the Mobo. I originally had an ASRock Extreme 4, but I bent the pins when installing the CPU (Stupid New Builder Mistake), and my options moneywise were limited, so I had to settle for the G43. Had I known its limitations, I would have waited until I had more money. Thankfully, I'm taking courses right preparing me to become A+ and Network+ certified, so I'm learning a lot.

Anyways, as you can see, my options are limited. What would you recommend I do with the voltage? It stays low, around 1.16-1.18, under full load. Should I use an offset?

Some motherboard manufacturers do better with "auto" rules than others, and given you lack of options it may be the best thing to use in this case. You can play around with the offsets and see where they get you, just try them out starting with the lowest and see where they take your overclock. If you get your desired overclocking using the offset voltage, then of course use that instead of the auto setting.

Thanks a lot man, i really appreciate your help! Well, I've got it offset to .04, which makes it around 1.184, @4.2. I also noticed when under load, the vcore drops significantly, but I learned this is vdroop. Well, I turned all the power saving features back on except cstates, passes Intel Burn Test just fine, max temp is 67C. Will game on it tonight, and once again try Prime overnight. Thanks again guys.

Yea, from what I've read that board doesn't have a very stout power delivery section with only three phases dedicated to CPU power. That's probably why you don't have much vCore available because of the weak power delivery. If you have a BIOS setting related to LLC (Load Line Calibration), you can try and play with those settings to stop the wild fluctuation in vCore. My guess is you probably don't have the options, but worth a look to make sure anyway.

Yeah, I learned my lesson not to skimp out on the most important piece of hardware next time
.. Haha. Yeah man, I checked, nothing in there. What is internal pll overvoltage? I do have that. Does 1.184 sound decent for being @4.2?

Well, I did a +.04 offset to Voltage, and I'm stable at 4.2Ghz with no errors after near 20 hours of Prime, with EIST and Turbo on, but C1E off. Now my CPU can downclock when idle, and my OC is still stable. Thanks guys!

Back