• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement options, can't decide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

So, I watered and cooked my poor 660ti during motherboard replacement and improper/hurried leak testing last week. Stupid on my part, but it is what it is. I'm currently getting by with a 750ti which has proved surprising capable at 1200p. It actually runs Skyrim with texture mod, Civ5, Orcs Must Die 2, Borderlands 2 better than I thought it would. These aren't graphics heavy hitters by modern standards and I play at 1200p.

I have two replacement options at similar price points, with a strong case for either option. New GTX 970 or used SLI 670 w/waterblocks. The 670 setup is obviously the more potent and better deal, plus it fits into my current loop nicely, but the 970 is the "new thing" with the latest architecture and it would meet my performance needs entirely. Unfortunately, no water.

It's practically a coin flip in my head. I really want the Maxwell card, but I also really want to keep my cards under water. Thoughts from the horde? Anybody want to try to smack some "sense" into me one way or the other?

So, I watered and cooked my poor 660ti during motherboard replacement and improper/hurried leak testing last week. Stupid on my part, but it is what it is. I'm currently getting by with a 750ti which has proved surprising capable at 1200p. It actually runs Skyrim with texture mod, Civ5, Orcs Must Die 2, Borderlands 2 better than I thought it would. These aren't graphics heavy hitters by modern standards and I play at 1200p.

I have two replacement options at similar price points, with a strong case for either option. New GTX 970 or used SLI 670 w/waterblocks. The 670 setup is obviously the more potent and better deal, plus it fits into my current loop nicely, but the 970 is the "new thing" with the latest architecture and it would meet my performance needs entirely. Unfortunately, no water.

It's practically a coin flip in my head. I really want the Maxwell card, but I also really want to keep my cards under water. Thoughts from the horde? Anybody want to try to smack some "sense" into me one way or the other?

IMHO. 970. Period.

I'd go either 970 or 780ti used ( sure this one will quickly loose some value!).

One one hand, your rig will look cooler with the dual 670s under water. On the other hand, 970 has newer architechture, higher efficiency per W.
I say get the single card, simply because there is the occasional game that won't do SLI at all. And there's microstutter when you SLI.
GTX970 is quite a deal performance wise given the price. It's a very good option and I think you should go for it.

In many games 2x670 will perform similar to 1x970, all depends what settings etc. I would get single GTX970 as it's also better option to upgrade in future to SLI.

Thanks, guys. I was leaning that direction as well. Since the 750ti is adequate for the moment (not great but doesn't suck), I'll probably wait a short bit for the water options to start to drop and go from there. With a little luck, I'll be able to re-use my universal Swiftech (waiting for word from Swiftech tech on compatibility).

Yep, give it a month or two for some sales to start (Black Friday???)
Then snag you a 970 on a good sale :)

The 750Ti is surprisingly potent.

Back