• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I sell my current rig for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Hey folks.

I'm saving up for an X99 system. I was thinking I should sell my current rig and put the $$ towards the new system so I can get the money together faster.
What, in Canadian dollars, do you guys think I could get for the following:

Corsair 500R
Maximus IV Extreme (P67 B3)
2x4GB Gskill ripjaws 1.5v c8
Intel 510 120GB
WD Velociraptor 150GB
ASUS DCUII GTX 580 1.5GB (fan rattles slightly at times when running at high rpm)
NHD14
i7 2600K
Corsair HX850 (not the newest version. From Dec 2010.)

Thanks! (would rather sell whole rig than part out at this time)
:thup::thup:

It's harder to sell a non-parted out system.

By my estimate if you parted out:

Mobo: $100
GPU: $100
CPU: $150-200
RAM: $50
SSD: $50
HDD: $50
PSU: $75
Case: $75
Cooler: $50

Which comes out to be approximately $750. You may likely need to sell for less with a together system, so maybe $650-$700. my apologies on the under-estimate.

Damn. Still less than I expected. I'll just keep it and add it to my collection of old computers I guess..

The problem with selling electronics is people don't want to pay much for used stuff. You might not be able to sell the whole system as a whole for much. If you individual parts you have to deal with many different people which can be a hassle. Also you will find that some stuff will sell fast and other parts you might get stuck with for 6-8 months. This will be a big investment in your time to continually update postings that it's still for sale.

Wish there was a way to sell quickly but unless it's priced really low you will be hard pressed to offload some items.

From my experience, it's generally best to never completely sell or part out a rig if budget is of concern. When I go through hardware refreshes, I generally just update the truly obsolete components... namely the mobo and CPU. Your case, PSU, HDD, etc, can all be reused in a future build. Sure, they might not be the latest and greatest, but they're still very valid tech that will get the job done. I generally try to aim to recoup at least 50% of my new hardware costs by selling the hardware I'm replacing. As long as I'm around that area, I don't feel bad about spending a few hundred bucks on upgrades.

Used tech is definitely a buyers market and its hard (though possible) to even get what your rig is worth, never mind what you hope to get. If I were you I would part it out and get what you can for the parts you can't make use of. Perhaps making small bundles like motherboard/cpu/cooler, case/psu, gpu, 150gb hdd. Unless you're going for sticks of 8gb I don't see a reason to sell off the memory and at the very least the intel ssd can be reused in a build. You're less likely to get lowballed by people if you keep the number of items for sale smaller rather than larger.

Back